[SOLVED] CPU Recommended

Ferimer

Distinguished
So I've been trying to follow the price of the intel i7 7700k well for some reason it's jumped about $300 +. My specs are just a click away below but I feel I'm somewhat restricted now on what i can get. Is there another alternative to be able to get around the $550 CDN price range

Solution
MSI's B450 Max motherboards are made to be Ryzen 3000 series compatible out of the box, so you shouldn't have any issues with needing to update the BIOS. As peace of mind: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-cpu
There's only one BIOS I can see on the CPU compatibility page, so it's as safe as can be.

X570 motherboards are, of course, an option but currently more a luxury for most users as they can't take full advantage of PCIe 4.0 yet.
Reactions: Ferimer
The general advice for RAM is to get it in a full kit and replace the old. The reason being that a full kit is tested for compatibility and voltage tolerances at the factory.

It is possible to mix and match RAM, but may require manual adjusting to avoid some issues. I'm personally of the mind if a person is comfortable with manually adjusting their RAM timings and voltages, then mixing and matching RAM is fine. If a person isn't comfortable with that then fully replacing a RAM kit would avoid the potential issues. I'm personally of the latter category.

But yes, it is feasible and an option to keep your current RAM and allow for more to be spent elsewhere.

Ferimer

Distinguished
The general advice for RAM is to get it in a full kit and replace the old. The reason being that a full kit is tested for compatibility and voltage tolerances at the factory.

It is possible to mix and match RAM, but may require manual adjusting to avoid some issues. I'm personally of the mind if a person is comfortable with manually adjusting their RAM timings and voltages, then mixing and matching RAM is fine. If a person isn't comfortable with that then fully replacing a RAM kit would avoid the potential issues. I'm personally of the latter category.

But yes, it is feasible and an option to keep your current RAM and allow for more to be spent elsewhere.
Yeah I havent ran into any problems with the ram I have. I did upgrade to another 8 gig stick for a total of 16. I am aware that buying from the same kit is the most ideal but If i dont need to upgrade or change there is no point. What I'm curious about is now that I've had some time to research I would prefer the Ryzen 5 3600x however will the b450 Tom Max work with the 3600x or will I need the X570?

MSI's B450 Max motherboards are made to be Ryzen 3000 series compatible out of the box, so you shouldn't have any issues with needing to update the BIOS. As peace of mind: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-cpu
There's only one BIOS I can see on the CPU compatibility page, so it's as safe as can be.

X570 motherboards are, of course, an option but currently more a luxury for most users as they can't take full advantage of PCIe 4.0 yet.

Reactions: Ferimer
Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished

That is all i needed to know as long as i can have it be set up right out of the box with a 3600X then i am going to go that route. Thanks so much for sticking through this with me appreciate it.