[SOLVED] CPU running hotter then normal at idle ?

goga12

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
Good day

Hope someone can help me know my pc bit old have a Fx8320 and Friday my windows crashed and I reinstalled it now I see temps are around 50 when at idle and its not even hot. I haven't reapplied thermopaste but did clean my pc and the fans. The PC is lying on it's side and not standing upright, can that be a problem maybe? Any ideas would help see cpu voltage at 1.31250

Solution
FX processors are hot and weak. Time to change it out when you can.

50c. Is not that bad.
Your failure is likely software related.
If your failure was heat related, it is more likely to be because the motherboard did not get sufficient cooling.
On the side might actually be better. That puts the motherboard level.
If you have a tower type cooler, that is particularly good.
See that the front intakes are delivering airflow over the motherboard and components.

As an experiment, take the side cover off and see if you do better.
Not a great idea if you have cats or kids around though.

Cpu usage while at idle is likely just the new windows doing some indexing or other initial work.
You should be able to see idle temperature in...
The PC is lying on it's side and not standing upright, can that be a problem maybe?

Indeed it can. One side of the PC case usually has ventilation holes or slots in it. If that side is resting on the floor that means no air can pass through the ventilation holes which in turn will cause overheating. Why have you got the PC lying on it's side anyway ? That's okay for servicing it or for adding components, but you shouldn't be running it like that.

FX processors are hot and weak. Time to change it out when you can.

50c. Is not that bad.
Your failure is likely software related.
If your failure was heat related, it is more likely to be because the motherboard did not get sufficient cooling.
On the side might actually be better. That puts the motherboard level.
If you have a tower type cooler, that is particularly good.
See that the front intakes are delivering airflow over the motherboard and components.

As an experiment, take the side cover off and see if you do better.
Not a great idea if you have cats or kids around though.

Cpu usage while at idle is likely just the new windows doing some indexing or other initial work.
You should be able to see idle temperature in the bios right after power on.

Solution

goga12

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2014
Well temps running great now turned pc right way up and declutter windows so it not using as much cpu and also adjusted the power saving so now running at idle 36 and on load only at 48