CPU RUNNING OVER 100 degrees CELSIUS HELP

denverb195

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
HI, my CPU lately has been running over 100 degrees Celsius I don't know whats causing it or whats happening, I'm no computer genius someone actually built this computer for me. I recently checked a program called Speccy and the CPU is over 112 degrees celsius i'm not sure how long its been running like this but I need to know how to cool it down and fast ! I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ by the way.

So if you could please tell me whats wrong and what I need to tell the man at the computer store. Because I know this is damaging my computer and im scared :fou:

I've never heard of that monitoring program, it could be unreliable and giving you bad readings. If it is running that hot it should shut itself down to prevent heat damage. Download CoreTemp or CPUID- Hardware monitor and see what they say,

turn off the pc..get a drink...let the cpu cool down. open the side panel up and check to see if it real dusty inside. if it is take the pc out to the garage and blow the dust out. (air compressor or canned air). dont vac the dust out as you can make static carge or damage parts on your pc. if the pc is not clogged with dust...power on the pc and see if the cpu fan spins up. it should not be a slow spin but a good speed that you can feel a breeze from. if you can then the cpu cooler may have come loose from the cpu. power down and let the cpu cool off. with it cooled off see if the heat sink legs have falled out of the mb. they should still be clipped in. toy can try and reseat the cpu heat sink.

denverb195

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

I downloaded core temp and both of my cores are running at around 115 to 117 degrees celsius

Ok then it's probably not a bad temp reading if three different programs are reporting the same readings. I would take off the fan and heatsink and dust them out. Also dust out any fans and air intake area's on the case that might be clogged. Also if you take the heatsink off you'll have wipe off the old thermal paste real good and re-apply. You want to make sure the surface of both the heasink and IHS are clean of old thermal paste residue or it will just make the temps the same or worse. Also are you using a stock heatsink or aftermarket?

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Yikes, sure that isn't ºF? that is way too hot if it is ºC, I think the max for that cpu is about 70ºC. I'd be mildly surprised things boot up and run stable at that.

Could be that the monitoring software is reading stuff wrong. The most surefire idle reading I guess would be from the BIOS (you should see a message flash up on screen when you switch on saying hit del or a function key to enter setup/bios). There is nearly always a page in there with temperature and voltage monitoring. If you want to scribble those down and post them (if you are not overclocking then most voltages and stuff would normally be set to auto).

If the readings there are still through the roof, I'd pull the side off the case and make sure that the cpu fan looks like it is spinning reasonably fast and that the heatsink isn't caked with dust (and secure). Most of the AMD stock heatsinks have a nice lever system so it is fairly easy to remove and install (just be a little careful removing if it has been on a few years, a bit of gentle wiggling might be required). Could be the heatsink not quite sitting properly, the AMD retention is pretty easy though. I have seen the plastic lugs break though which obviously doesn't help.

I had a cheap old Arctic cooling 64 cooler on mine which was quiet and kept the temps reasonable.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
TJ Max for your chip is 90C. Those temps of 100C to 115C are way too high and your chip should have powered down long before they were reached. If those temps are correct then you are right in believing that you are damaging your computer. You are well passed the point of being able to experiment your way out of this issue. I recommend you taking it to someone who knows what they are doing and can look at the computer in the flesh.