CPU shows 80+ but Radiator feels barely heated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CampinP

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I have i7 7700k overclocked at 5ghz with 1.32v. I was rendering a video and checked that the temperature was at 80c, which feels very strange to me.

I have a corsair H110i GTX 280mm radiator so cooling should be good. I touched the radiator to see if it is really that hot, and it felt like it was about 30c at most, in no way hot.

Is this normal or is something wrong with the cooler? Like heat isn't being transferred correctly? Strangely the PC idles at 30+c if that helps..

Solution
My bad, missed the 5GHz part... :C
Regardless, I run a Kraken x61 and an i7 6700k at 4.8GHz, it runs at around 70c on the quiet performance setting when rendering video.
A 7700k should exhibit slightly lower temps compared to that at the same clock speed, and perhaps a tiny bit more with a 5GHz OC.
What fans are you running?
If they're the stock ones that'd be about normal, i'm using Fractal's HP-14s on mine.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Maybe you should try touching the cpu.

All sarcasm aside, its running at 5ghz and you are rendering video.. 80C is fine. The water is cool at the radiator and hot at the cpu. The water at its hottest is not going to even come close to 80C either.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah if the radiator is hot it's not doing its job at all. If you run a 24 hour render it'd eventually warm up closer to the CPU temp but it can't ever get as high as only a small amount of the water is ever in contact with the CPU block and starts cooling down the second it leaves the block.

My bad, missed the 5GHz part... :C
Regardless, I run a Kraken x61 and an i7 6700k at 4.8GHz, it runs at around 70c on the quiet performance setting when rendering video.
A 7700k should exhibit slightly lower temps compared to that at the same clock speed, and perhaps a tiny bit more with a 5GHz OC.
What fans are you running?
If they're the stock ones that'd be about normal, i'm using Fractal's HP-14s on mine.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I7 3770k @4.9GHz 1.32v gets me at 74°C under p95 26.6 after 1hr on a kraken x61 with stock fans on silent mode. Accounting for the fact that a 7700k should run cooler than my Ivy-Bridge, even at 100MHz more with same voltage, 80°C isn't terrible, but should be slightly lower. Personal assumption would be the needed Teflon washers under the pump base to give the pump a tighter contact with the cpu. Corsair's are infamous for not allowing for thin mobo's and having loose pumps. Also infamous for lousy stock fans, I'd suggest a switch to lower rpm fans such as Noctua, Phanteks, Fractal, even the new Corsair ML's

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
7700k runs hot. You can't really compare to the older arcitectures.

I run 80c at 4.9 GHz at 1.325 v. You're doing pretty good at only 80c at 5.0.
Custom loop water cooling is the next best step, followed by delidding or exotic cooling. Only way you're gonna reduce the temps.

I run MLs they're not too bad.

Just stick with what you have that's a solid temp.

You have to see it in perspective. Your radiator cooling zone is 280mmx140mm.

The chip die is a 14nm die. That's a tiny tiny tiny tiny area producing 80c of heat. It's the difference between a saudering iron tip at 100 and a stove burner at 100. Which one is actually producing more heat? The one with higher surface area.

Feb 11, 2021
Heat doesn't transfer instantly. The pump is passing water over the CPU at a certain speed, so the water only has a certain amount of time to absorb heat (the amount of time its in contact with the fins).
And of course the radiator is trying to bring the water back down to room temperature. So I'd say thats why the radiator isn't as hot as the CPU. The water is in contact with the fins very briefly during its trip.

USAFRet

Titan
Heat doesn't transfer instantly. The pump is passing water over the CPU at a certain speed, so the water only has a certain amount of time to absorb heat (the amount of time its in contact with the fins).
And of course the radiator is trying to bring the water back down to room temperature. So I'd say thats why the radiator isn't as hot as the CPU. The water is in contact with the fins very briefly during its trip.
This is 4 years old.
Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.