[SOLVED] cpu speed drops below base speed when gaming

Jun 28, 2020
hey guys,

I have a,
gigabyte rtx 2070
intel 17-8700k 3.70ghz
16g of ram
asrock z390 phantom gaming mobo

when im not playing or doing anything my cpu speed is higher than the base speed of 3.70ghz, once I go to play pubg, the speed going far below 3.70, it goes to 1.56ghz or even much lower. i dont know what is the problem, someone please help.

Solution
do i use the can on the inside blowing into the fan out the back? or from the back into the casing?

I dont feel heat coming off the radiator.

dont see any kinks

the tubs themselves feel warm
its an all in one cooler View: https://i.imgur.com/g4p80JU.jpg

Thanks for the extra info

Tubes look fine so we can rule out tube kinks

When you go to blow the dust out make sure your computer is off or put in sleep mode. Don't want dust bunnies being sucked up by any fans

Technically I think you're supposed to use the compressed air in the opposite direction of where the fan is exhausting heat (so you'd want to go to the back of the case and blow out the radiator from there)

But I say just do both...

Furzumz

Reputable

Furzumz

Reputable

The maximum temperature your CPU allows is 100c and your temperatures are hitting that amount dead on.

Your CPU is running WAY too hot causing your CPU to underclock itself to try to avoid damage

As far as whats causing your CPU to overheat, it could be from different things.

• Did you apply thermal paste when installing that CPU?
  • When was the last time you blew the dust out of your computer case using some compressed air?
  • Is your CPU cooler working and installed correctly?
  • Are you overclocking your processor?

Jun 28, 2020
so this computer i bought from ibuypower prebuilt, i never check the thermal paste, i did use the air can to get dust out, i dont know how to check if the liquid cooler is working properly, and i never overclocked how can i check to see if its overclocked?

Furzumz

Reputable
so this computer i bought from ibuypower prebuilt, i never check the thermal paste, i did use the air can to get dust out, i dont know how to check if the liquid cooler is working properly, and i never overclocked how can i check to see if its overclocked?

How long have you had this PC for?

When you blew the dust out did you make sure to blow the dust out of the radiator? (see image below)

Also is your liquid cooler an all in one cooler or a custom loop cooler? I assume its probably an all in one cooler. If so is the pump plugged in? You should see a little wire on the part of the cooler that sits on the processor. There should be a wire on that plugged into the motherboard somewhere.

There should be a fan on the metal radiator as well (also see the below image). Is the fan spinning?

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1MLNl...m-Radiator-120mm-RGB-PWM-Fans.jpg_960x960.jpg

Furzumz

Reputable
ya its plugged in and spinning, i have had this computer for maybe 2years or just under 2 years

Could you also answer the other questions? Forgive the barrage of questions but its a process of elminination as overheating can be caused by a handful of different things.

Another thing I forgot to ask, do you see any visible kinks in the tubing on your liquid cooler?

As far as telling if your liquid cooler is dead...that can be tricky. Sometimes the pump can audibly die, other times its silent.

Find where your radiator is and hold your hand close to it on both sides of the radiator (I wouldn't touch it, just put your hand close to it). If you feel a good amount of heat being blown out that could be a sign its still working

If you feel little to no heat despite your processor being pegged at 100C it may very well be dead.

Furzumz

Reputable
do i use the can on the inside blowing into the fan out the back? or from the back into the casing?

I dont feel heat coming off the radiator.

dont see any kinks

the tubs themselves feel warm
its an all in one cooler View: https://i.imgur.com/g4p80JU.jpg

Thanks for the extra info

Tubes look fine so we can rule out tube kinks

When you go to blow the dust out make sure your computer is off or put in sleep mode. Don't want dust bunnies being sucked up by any fans

Technically I think you're supposed to use the compressed air in the opposite direction of where the fan is exhausting heat (so you'd want to go to the back of the case and blow out the radiator from there)

But I say just do both front and back of the radiator, can't go wrong with that.

After you blow it out double check the front and back of your radiator for heat being exhausted. If you don't feel much or any heat being exhausted, your pump is probably dead and you'll need a new cooler.

should i be hearing water passing through the tubs? because i dont hear anything

You likely won't hear water moving even when its working

this is my comp atm without playing any games all day and nothing open but me reading on these forums View: https://i.imgur.com/VvxxLzg.png

Yeah 90c just browsing the forums is way, way way waaaaay too hot. Even under game load that's too high

Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
Another thing, I think your radiator setup might be exhausting heat into the case rather than pushing it outside the back. Make sure to check the inside of your case to see if you feel any heat being exhausted from the radiator fan.

If you don't feel a good amount of heat coming from either direction of that radiator fan then I'm heavily assuming your water cooler pump died.

Jun 28, 2020
ok im going to shut down the computer and try to blow out the radiator again. if i dont feel heat coming out the back then its not working? think maybe the thermal paste is the problem too?

Jun 28, 2020
no heat pushing into the casing from the fan

can you recommend a good cooling system i can buy btw?

also thank you for taking your time to talk with me and help out with this problem you are very kind for doing so! thank you so much!

Last edited: