Question CPU speed stuck at 1.49Ghz when throttlestop is not running

Jun 26, 2024
I have a Lenovo ideapad 330S-14IKB with specs:
B99Ut1n.png

So i got this laptop from my father's friend as he didn't had any use of it anymore and when i got it, I noticed that it was very slow.... slower than a dual core processor so after some searching and reading several forums I got to know about throttlestop. So i thought to give it a try and it worked! it was working at max power of 3.39Ghz BUT the problem is that the laptop's whole performance is being held by a single software and unless it loads the cpu works at a very slow speed which makes the boot time longer.

So I want to see if there is any other solution other than throttlestop which i can't see from searching.

@Aeropro
SST is red. Try enabling Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS.

Running ThrottleStop is the best thing you can do for your 8th Gen Lenovo laptop. When ThrottleStop is properly setup, you can get 100% better performance compared to without it. A slow cold boot up will rarely be necessary if you always use Sleep mode.

Some common throttling problems cannot be solved with any other software and cannot be solved in the BIOS.

Jun 26, 2024
@Aeropro
SST is red. Try enabling Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS.

Running ThrottleStop is the best thing you can do for your 8th Gen Lenovo laptop. When ThrottleStop is properly setup, you can get 100% better performance compared to without it. A slow cold boot up will rarely be necessary if you always use Sleep mode.

Some common throttling problems cannot be solved with any other software and cannot be solved in the BIOS.
OK thanks for the answer and this "SST is red. Try enabling Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS.*
I know but that's the thing there's no speed shift option in BIOS and when I turn sst in ThrottleStop on, the indicator in it is green. And after turning it on, cpu again starts to trottle when given value between 0-255 so I guess that's the power saving percent

In conclusion I think the inbuilt sst is what making cpu throttle and ThrottleStop is stopping it probably

there's no speed shift option in BIOS
I think that is part of the problem. Windows 11 seems to assume that if you are using an 8th Gen Intel processor that Speed Shift must have been enabled by the BIOS. When SST is not enabled by the BIOS, Windows 11 probably does not know how to properly control the CPU speed.

when given value between 0-255
Are you changing the Speed Shift EPP value on the main screen of ThrottleStop? There should be no need to check this box or use this feature in ThrottleStop. Once Speed Shift is enabled, Windows 11 should be able to control the CPU speed appropriately.

I prefer to use the Windows High Performance power plan to run the CPU at max speed regardless of load. If you want the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded, use the Windows Balanced power plan. Windows should automatically adjust the EPP value as long as Speed Shift EPP is not checked in ThrottleStop. You can check the FIVR monitoring table to see what EPP value the CPU is using as you cycle through the available power plans. ThrottleStop gives you access to the three default Windows power plans, High Performance, Balanced and Power Saver, even when some of these might be hidden in Power Options.

In the TPL window, Speed Shift Min and Speed Shift Max should be set to the recommended values.

At default settings, a Lenovo laptop with a low power 8th Gen U series CPU can slow down for a variety of reasons. Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window when testing. Power limit throttling and EDP current limit throttling are both common. The default 15W power limit does not go very far. For best performance I recommend you check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window. I would also increase the two power limits so your CPU can get up and go.

My daughter's 8th Gen Lenovo C930 likes to party after the power limits are removed. It can run the TS Bench at full speed, at least until it overheats.

eo0J744.png

Jun 26, 2024
Are you changing the Speed Shift EPP value on the main screen of ThrottleStop?
Umm no what i am trying to say is that i was testing if SST is actaully on or off so that's why i turned on sst in throttlestop because i read in some other forum that if my cpu SST is on then the text "SST" in throttlestop will turn green(When checked the box next to Speed Shift EPP).
In the TPL window, Speed Shift Min and Speed Shift Max should be set to the recommended values.
Umm sorry idk much about this but please see the image and tell about it.
nKI1XYs.png

Actually this setting was copied from some forum stating that it was most stable for their systems.
For best performance I recommend you check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window. I would also increase the two power limits so your CPU can get up and go.
K thanks for the advice i did it but didn't see much difference so its still checked cause what's the harm
It can run the TS Bench at full speed, at least until it overheats.
hmm my laptop is also able to run at full speed but it overheats so i guess i have to replace the thermal paste as i don't think its been changed since 2018(year of purchase).

And there's 1 thing that worry me a bit: when i benchmark the cpu there's "thermal" that goes red in LIMITS but there's something called "EDP other" which starts to go red syncing with thermal. So is it normal or something is wrong?

OK thanks for the answer and this "SST is red. Try enabling Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS.*
I know but that's the thing there's no speed shift option in BIOS and when I turn sst in ThrottleStop on, the indicator in it is green. And after turning it on, cpu again starts to trottle when given value between 0-255 so I guess that's the power saving percent

In conclusion I think the inbuilt sst is what making cpu throttle and ThrottleStop is stopping it probably
No idea what bios settings you have so just a guess.

Bios....enable 'c' states/speed step/turbo.
Windows....enable high perf power plan.
Reboot.....test.

TRENDING THREADS