Question CPU speed stuck at 800MHz in BIOS/0.79GHz in Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2020
Hi there,

I've a new-build PC and the CPU speed is stuck at 800MHz and will not go any higher or any lower. It reads 800MHz in BIOS and 0.79GHz in Task Manager, despite TM listing the base speed as 3.60GHZ.

I've run a fresh install of Windows 10 but the problem still appears then as well. Interestingly, if I boot into Safe Mode then the full 3.60GHz appears in Task Manager.

I've also updated BIOS to its latest version which hasn't helped and neither does changing any settings within BIOS itself.

Here's the specs of my build:
Intel i7-9700k 3.60GHz
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming motherboard
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Ventus
16GB DDR4 RAM
250GB M.2 Drive
Corsair H80i V2 liquid cooling fan

I haven't overclocked anything or even attempted to overclock anything. The motherboard temperature lists at 27 Celsius and the CPU itself at 32 Celsius.

I'd really appreciate any advice or help you can give, it's driving me nuts!

Cheers.

Jun 6, 2020
Jun 6, 2020
You have to either load BIOS defaults or go to CPU setting in BIOS and adjust the multiplier in there from 8 to... say 47. And enjoy.
Everything is set to ‘Auto’ and greyed out so I can’t change anything sadly.

I installed Throttlestop out of interest to see if that would help anything. When I unchecked the ‘BD PROCHOT’ setting, the clock speed kicked into life and started fluctuating between 3.6GHZ and 4.2GHz, seemingly overriding the issue.

Does anyone know what this setting relates to and how I might be able to fix it so I don’t need to use Throttlestop?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.