Question Cpu spikes to 100% ?

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
Hello, I recently just completed my first build. It's on the lower end but it's mine and enough for me. I have i3 8100, gtx 1050 ti strix, 8gb of ram(planing on upgrading soon) and a deepcool 500w unit. My problem is with cpu spikes that I get. While playing games specifically mass effect Andromeda, it will run great 50 to 60 on ultra textures rest is med to low, with 100 % gpu usage and 40 -60 cpu usage with 50c to 60 c temperature on both cpu and gpu, but then suddenly the cpu will shoot up to 100% and it will stay like that for 4 5 sec, the temp is the same,the gpu usage will drop to 90, and them climb back up to 100% and my fps will drop to 30 40, then the cpu will fall in into its normal usage and my fps will get back to 50 60. My bios is at the newest version gpu drivers also. I also read somewhere that it could be because my ram is faulty or my Hard disk is bad(I plan to upgrade to nvme.2 soon). Any help will be appreciated.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55907590 this is my benchmark

DavidM012

Distinguished
nvme - can't get better than a qwik fit fitter 500gb wd_sn850 black is $70 at the moment on newegg.

Gaming NVME review - samsung 980 pro review - 990 variant has arrived

The 500gb samsung 980pro is $99 but the review reveals it's more power efficient than the wd_sn850 black.

nvme is the difference between night and day anyway. If you think of it as the platform on which your system rests then it's like a freshly glazed ice rink.

You can get an optional heatsink for the wd_sn850 black for $10. Western Digital supposedly has some SSD migration software can't find any convenient links on their support site though. Samsung has Samsung Magician (software).

You could however choose any nvme even a 256gb variety just to boot the OS. The 500gb variety has 2x the durabiliaty of 256gb variety and the 1tb variety has 2x the durability of the 500gb variety.

Basically you can get 1 large game on the 256gb if it's 100gb on the disk and then maybe get a couple of 40gb games on it - not much. But you will get all the performance of nvme. 256gb Samsung 980 pro $67 on new egg. The 500gb sn 850 wd_black makes more sense - and it is a well reveiwed mainstream gaming drive.

You can download DiskGenius, install it and make a bootable USB to migrate your os. All the others, Aeomi, EaseUs todo, Minitool wizard, that used to have free migrate os in the windows 7 days, are now subscription only.

Reactions: Mxares

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
nvme - can't get better than a qwik fit fitter 500gb wd_sn850 black is $70 at the moment on newegg.

Gaming NVME review - samsung 980 pro review - 990 variant has arrived

The 500gb samsung 980pro is $99 but the review reveals it's more power efficient than the wd_sn850 black.

nvme is the difference between night and day anyway. If you think of it as the platform on which your system rests then it's like a freshly glazed ice rink.

You can get an optional heatsink for the wd_sn850 black for $10. Western Digital supposedly has some SSD migration software can't find any convenient links on their support site though. Samsung has Samsung Magician (software).

You could however choose any nvme even a 256gb variety just to boot the OS. The 500gb variety has 2x the durabiliaty of 256gb variety and the 1tb variety has 2x the durability of the 500gb variety.

Basically you can get 1 large game on the 256gb if it's 100gb on the disk and then maybe get a couple of 40gb games on it - not much. But you will get all the performance of nvme. 256gb Samsung 980 pro $67 on new egg. The 500gb sn 850 wd_black makes more sense - and it is a well reveiwed mainstream gaming drive.

You can download DiskGenius, install it and make a bootable USB to migrate your os. All the others, Aeomi, EaseUs todo, Minitool wizard, that used to have free migrate os in the windows 7 days, are now subscription only.
Would it change the performance of games that are not on the nvme.2 too? And does it have some kind if connection to the cpu spikes I experience?

DavidM012

Distinguished
It's much faster data transfer so it will help the entire system. For example windows virtual memory (page file) resides on the disk drive. So it won't be waiting for operations to complete on the hdd so much.

However a discrete GPU would do far more for your gaming fps & experience. An nvme drive is better all round no question of that.

Once you look at the gpu - see this chart then you'll also have to check your Power Supply is reasonable enough to support it. Graphics cards though, even the most basic ones are around $120 for gtx 1030 (which is barely an improvement over the intel iGPU), on newegg.

Well if you can do an nvme for $20 why not? lt will be better but nowhere near better than a modern gpu.

Looks like you could enable xmp in the bios for your memory too. 2 easy steps to start with anyway.

Last edited:

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
It's much faster data transfer so it will help the entire system. For example windows virtual memory (page file) resides on the disk drive. So it won't be waiting for operations to complete on the hdd so much.

However a discrete GPU would do far more for your gaming fps & experience. An nvme drive is better all round no question of that.

Once you look at the gpu - see this chart then you'll also have to check your Power Supply is reasonable enough to support it. Graphics cards though, even the most basic ones are around $120 for gtx 1030 (which is barely an improvement over the intel iGPU), on newegg.

Well if you can do an nvme for $20 why not? lt will be better but nowhere near better than a modern gpu.

Looks like you could enable xmp in the bios for your memory too. 2 easy steps to start with anyway.
Thank you for your reply. I do have a gtx 1050 ti strix, which provides enough fps for me. The only trouble i have is the cpu spikes that cause my fps to drop for a few seconds. Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with my 1050 ti. I will definitely buy an nvme.2 even if it is a 128 gb just to put the windows there. Thanks again.

DavidM012

Distinguished
difference of 50c between 128gb and 256gb Team Group - get the 256gb. For a moment I thought you were using the iGPU since userbenchmark shows no gpu. Do backup your data tho- if it doesn't fall apart after a few days, it's a good upgrade.

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
difference of 50c between 128gb and 256gb Team Group - get the 256gb. For a moment I thought you were using the iGPU since userbenchmark shows no gpu. Do backup your data tho- if it doesn't fall apart after a few days, it's a good upgrade.
Yeah its werid. user benchmark didnt show my gpu. Tbh when i get the m.2 i will reisntall windows, nothing better then a fresh start, i have nothing important only some game that i can download again. my friend did give me his spare m.2 intel 256 gb but its not working. its showing up in bios as SSD not as NVME and my pc wont boot with the m.2 in it.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well it is an m.2 ssd and of course it simply won't boot - do you mean 'won't boot windows' or 'won't go past boot screen' - you have to load the operating system on it. Does it say anything like 'operating system not found'?

Not sure what's going on but if you set your original hdd as the primary boot device first then save and exit from the bios. Then you're going to have to download and install DiskGenius to make a bootable USB drive - do you have a USB drive?

It's a bit complicated to trim the data on your primary hdd and shrink the partition to 250gb so it'll fit on the ssd. Try to delete any excess data or store it on another drive if you have space.

If/when you can accomplish that, boot off the USB and you can either clone the original drive( including the windows system partitions) or use the migrate OS option. Then set the nvme to primary boot device.

Not sure if you mean 'you can't even boot windows with the primary hard drive as the primary boot device' - should be able to.

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
Well it is an m.2 ssd and of course it simply won't boot - do you mean 'won't boot windows' or 'won't go past boot screen' - you have to load the operating system on it. Does it say anything like 'operating system not found'?

Not sure what's going on but if you set your original hdd as the primary boot device first then save and exit from the bios. Then you're going to have to download and install DiskGenius to make a bootable USB drive - do you have a USB drive?

It's a bit complicated to trim the data on your primary hdd and shrink the partition to 250gb so it'll fit on the ssd. Try to delete any excess data or store it on another drive if you have space.

If/when you can accomplish that, boot off the USB and you can either clone the original drive( including the windows system partitions) or use the migrate OS option. Then set the nvme to primary boot device.

Not sure if you mean 'you can't even boot windows with the primary hard drive as the primary boot device' - should be able to.
I tried it both ways. i tried to acces it with a bootable windows USB to install a fresh copy but i cant get it past "install now" button as it gets stuck there and wont do anything, if i remove the m.2 it opens it immediately. the second way i tried is putting it in my pc when i have windows install on my HDD. I made sure to selec my HDD as a primary boot device, and then when i click save and quit on my bios, it shows my mobo logo and it gets stuck at "repairing disk 100%". if i remove it, it boots my windows immediately. that is werid to me, i can see it in my bios and change its settings but i cant boot my pc with it. I made i post a while back but i didnt get any answer on it, assumed its broken. not sure if i have to install any drivers for it tho. the model is intel ssdsckkf256h6 if you are interested.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well it should either simply work or not. What you could do is disconnect every other drive (switch off the mains of course) and simply disconnect all the sata cables.

Make sure the intel ssd is the only disk installed on your system. Then just run windows setup installer off your setup usb and try to install windows on it that way.

The disk appears to be working to me - maybe your friend left an operating system installed on it.

So once you've installed windows on it, power off again, switch off the mains and reconnect all your disks. Should work. :)

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
Well it should either simply work or not. What you could do is disconnect every other drive (switch off the mains of course) and simply disconnect all the sata cables.

Make sure the intel ssd is the only disk installed on your system. Then just run windows setup installer off your setup usb and try to install windows on it that way.

The disk appears to be working to me - maybe your friend left an operating system installed on it.

So once you've installed windows on it, power off again, switch off the mains and reconnect all your disks. Should work. :)
Will defenetly try this, thank you for your help, I will update you with the result. Is the performance same as n.v.m.e m.2 and sata m.2? Don't really know the difference.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh hold on - should've searched that first - your friend has given you a sata 3 M.2 drive not an n.v.m.e. M.2 is simply the form factor - Sata or Nvme is the type of drive.

It isn't nvme. They both fit in the M.2 mobo port. Still weird it doesn't work:

• Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 X4 & SATA interface
Mobo supports both types.

Manual:

Installation Notices for the M.2 and SATA Connectors: Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected by the type of device installed in the M.2 connector. The M2M_32G connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 5 connector. Refer to the following table for details.

Presumably you can't have a drive plugged in to Sata port 5 with a Sata M.2 drive installed.

It's not nvme anyway - so it will only be as fast as a sata 3 ssd not nvme speeds. Still faster than your hard drives.

Mxares

Commendable
Feb 3, 2021
Oh hold on - should've searched that first - your friend has given you a sata 3 M.2 drive not an n.v.m.e. M.2 is simply the form factor - Sata or Nvme is the type of drive.

It isn't nvme. They both fit in the M.2 mobo port. Still weird it doesn't work:

• Ultra-Fast M.2 with PCIe Gen3 X4 & SATA interface
Mobo supports both types.

Manual:

Installation Notices for the M.2 and SATA Connectors: Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected by the type of device installed in the M.2 connector. The M2M_32G connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 5 connector. Refer to the following table for details.

Presumably you can't have a drive plugged in to Sata port 5 with a Sata M.2 drive installed.

It's not nvme anyway - so it will only be as fast as a sata 3 ssd not nvme speeds. Still faster than your hard drives.
Yeah, it still would be much better then the HDD I have right now. I will try by disconnecting all my HDDs and connecting only the m.2, hopefully that would work.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well you have 2 hdd's and 6 sata ports. By the fates, you simply happened to have a hdd plugged into port 5 which was a 1 in 6 or approximately 17% chance of a hardware conflict, and your friend simply happened to lend you a sata M.2 rather than an nvme when you aren't all that familiar with pcs. Chalk it up to an unlucky day!

TRENDING THREADS