CPU stays clocked at 800mhz

UNOBerry

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Ok I have researched and researched and researched this.

Specs:
Cpu Intel 4770k
Motherboard msi z87-g45 gaming
Ram 2x 8 gb corsair
Asus gtx 780 direct cuii-2
900w corsair power supply
500gb ssd
2tb hdd

Here's what I've done so far:

High performance windows power option.

Disabled speed step

Disabled turbo

Disabled c states

Cpu multiplier is set to 42

All this was tested under prime95 load with cpuz

Only way to get 4.2ghz is to use throttlestop. I have been using it for some time but I think it's time for a real solution

Thnx in advance

UNOBerry

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Temps are fine. 30c idle 50c under load. Had a different psi (an older one) that was part of this set up before my new one came. Issue persisted across both psu's. Seems motherboard related. Far to late to return. I just went with it after throttlestop alleviated the issue. Which luckily works in windows 10 so I still work. Since I have a work around I'm not too worried. The troubleshooter in me just wants to know why and provide a real fix. Post purchase of that motherboard I have seen some poor reception. Next time I'll prob go with ASUS or gygabyte

Paul_80

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
The very same issue has started to happen to me this week I am running Skylake i5 6500 and MSI B150 motherboard ' I have also tested with 2 PSU's 'different Ram , Plugged out every fan and usb header and problem still persists . There is a Red LED that will come on when the system downclocks to 800mhz . I have searched all over the internet and can find nothing .It is also completely random system will work fine for 2 days and then just start acting up again . Out of the few post on the internet that I have found with people having this issue the one thing they have in common is the MSI motherboards. There is a "feature" on MSI boards called slowmode on my motherboard there is a physical switch to turn this on and it will downclock the system to 800mhz however i wish my problem was as simple as flipping a switch .It seems the system just randomly activates this slow mode feature while in the middle of browsing youtube or playing a game . My CPU never goes over 50c either I'm pretty positive it is the MSI Board that is the problem . I should of stuck with Asus but went with MSI to match a color scheme (Derp) . P.S Why would MSI put a LN2 slowmode feature on a B150 board is beyond me but i believe it is somehow connected with the issue.