Question CPU stopped working after 40mins ?

Apr 27, 2023
Alrighty here we go, I got a 3090 gpu, motherboard is a strix rog b450 F, 750w power supply and JUST installed new ryzen 9 5900x from a ryzen 5 2600. It worked for a little while playing game and then just a black screen. Now it will power on, fans at max, no boot, and bios light displays orange light.

I've checked bios updates, cmos clear, ram, power supply, and all cables.
PC powers on and works perfectly when I put the old CPU back in so I'm about to just buy a new motherboard because I think that may fix it but I'd like to see what you think cause I'm out of ideas.

Apr 27, 2023
If it WORKED for a bit and then quit working, but still works with old CPU, how is it a motherboard issue?

What BIOS?

What CPU cooler?
Motherboard bios is like version 5003 did not originally accept cpu before update, have read people having issues with this board and 5000 series cpus, the part that totally blows my mind is that it worked the first time FLAWLESSLY and then just stopped working

Cpu cooler is the stock one that came with first cpu like wraith cooling

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023
What is the brand of psu.? A 3090 plus the 5900x can pull a lot of wattage, Your psu may not be up for the job.
That's what I thought but even so why did it boot once then never again shouldn't it boot and then turn off once power limit is extended exceeded?

Corsair brand

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023
What is the brand of psu.? A 3090 plus the 5900x can pull a lot of wattage, Your psu may not be up for the job.
That's what I thought but even so why did it boot once then never again shouldn't it boot and then turn off once power limit is extended?
FYI: Do not use the Wraith cooler on that 5900x. It'll work, but just barely and it'll be loud!
ill keep a note to upgrade, my mind is blown that it booted and played once then just stopped, why would it do that?

If your on a budget the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is $40 on Amazon and is a stellar cooler. Would be perfect on the 5900x.

I would also suggest you get a new 850 watt psu. You have a lot invested to chance on on older pwer supply at the minimum requirement threshold.

Reactions: DrDalt0n
Apr 27, 2023
If your on a budget the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is $40 on Amazon and is a stellar cooler. Would be perfect on the 5900x.

I would also suggest you get a new 850 watt psu. You have a lot invested to chance on on older pwer supply at the minimum requirement threshold.
I'll definitely upgrade those do you think the power supply killed the new cpu or is it a compatibility issue, I am lead to believe it's the motherboard not supporting it fully because when it stopped working trying to to boot it on with that cpu one fan would be not working and cpu fan would be WEAK

Apr 27, 2023
The motherboard supports the 5900x starting with BIOS version 4007.

Also, before swapping the cpu make sure all BIOS settings at on default, turn PBO off and leave the RAM at the default 2333MHz.

What make and model RAM are you using? Are they matched?
Is pbo default on? I am using ddr4 t-force 2x16
Yes they match. Also Ethernet driver stopped working after new cpu was installed, had to update it

By default PBO is typically off. Enabling PBO provides a solid performance boost with Ryzen cpu's.

If none of this makes sense please read your motherboard manual and do some Googling to have a better undertstanding of what to do. It's not hard to enable or disable in the BIOS. If you don't understand it then better to leave the settings alone.

Reactions: DrDalt0n
Apr 27, 2023
Is pbo default on? I am using ddr4 t-force 2x16
Yes they match.
By default PBO is typically off. Enabling PBO provides a solid performance boost with Ryzen cpu's.

If none of this makes sense please read your motherboard manual and do some Googling to have a better undertstanding of what to do. It's not hard to enable or disable in the BIOS. If you don't understand it then better to leave the settings alone.
I've read manual and feels like I've tried everything. Have you ever had a new cpu just stop after 40mins ?

Apr 27, 2023
Do we think it's a dead cpu or just need more power, if it's power why tf did it work in the first place lol?

TRENDING THREADS