Question Cpu stuck below 1ghz without overvolt

alexcoulter111

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
So, I bought a board, cpu, ram, cooler combo and paired it up with some stuff I already had for a new rig of mine. The pc was crashing soon after boot and i realised the cpu was idling at 90 degrees Celsius. I then checked there was thermal paste (there was) and then realised the was a manual 1.3v overclock put in place by the previous owner, and i thought oh well and set it back to default. Now the cpu is idling at 800mhz and only gets up to about 950mhz in games which makes it a stuttery mess. What do you think is dodgy? The cpu or the motherboard? And yes i know it is a b250 board i was not planning on oc'ing.

i5 7600k
Asrock b250 fatal1ty k4
16gb ddr4
Msi rtx 2080 super
120gb ssd, 500gb sshd, 1tb hdd
Thermaltake Litepower 650w
Some random case

Cheers

i5 7600k

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And it's no longer thermal throttling? 90C at idle at 1.3V suggests a cooling issue so serious that just dialing back to stock voltage -- which isn't that much less -- is unlikely to fix the problem.

It's not the source of your problem, but I'm also weeping a bit see a 2080 running on an ancient, group-regulated Solytech-manufactured PSU, one of the junkiest PSUs from a PSU brand that has sold quite a bit of low-quality nonsense.

alexcoulter111

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
And it's no longer thermal throttling? 90C at idle at 1.3V suggests a cooling issue so serious that just dialing back to stock voltage -- which isn't that much less -- is unlikely to fix the problem.

It's not the source of your problem, but I'm also weeping a bit see a 2080 running on an ancient, group-regulated Solytech-manufactured PSU, one of the junkiest PSUs from a PSU brand that has sold quite a bit of low-quality nonsense.
At stock it is running at expected temperatures but always below 1ghz, I've tried it with a kraken 140mm aio and nothing changed. I assume the previous owner had it locked to 1.3v before so as to get the advertised clock speed. Do you think the problem is with the cpu or the mobo?