CPU Temp at 40 Celsius but the fan is at 4000 rpm?

Jun 15, 2018
Recently built a computer and i used a pre-built motherboard (Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2) which uses an AMD FX 8350 eight core 4ghz processor. It has a heat-sync with a 'Cooler master' fan. Now, running things like World of Warcraft should be a cakewalk...but it sounds like someone is playing with a drone next to me when it should run silent... even turning the graphics to the lowest it will still run overkill. I have been in the BIOS to check the settings and 'Quiet and cool' is on 'Auto' and i am now stumped...

If anyone has any ideas on how to make my cpu fan quieter and still keep the cpu cool it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The answer probably depends on what type of fan is on the CPU, and where it is plugged in. First, look at the wires from the CPU cooler fan and the connector on the end of them. There are three possibilities.
1. Three wires ending in a small connector about 3/8" wide with three holes in a line.
2. Four wires ending in a small connector just over 3/8" wide with four holes in a line.
3. Two (or maybe three) wires ending in a wider connector about 3/4" wide with space for four round pins inside a shroud, although it may contain only 2 pins.

Now, where is that plugged in? On a mobo CPU_FAN header? On a different mobo fan header? Or, plugged into a connector on wires coming directly from the PSU?

With that info we can advise.

What I suspect is that it MIGHT be a 3-pin fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and that header can not control a 3-pin fan's speed - it would always run full speed. However, there are other possibilities, depending on what you find and report. So let us know.