Question CPU temp concerns

Aug 12, 2019
Hey there! First post here! Here is the issue i’m having. My temps are going from idle at roughly 32C and jumping to 50C the second i open a single tab of google chrome and then going back down a few seconds later. If i’m doing multiple things, the fan will kick up, slow down, etc. I know chrome is a resource hog but this has happened even when i open file explorer or just a simple app on my desktop. I am running an asus z270F mobo, i7-7700K, cryorig C7 cooler, no overclock. This has been going on for a while now but it’s finally a concern since i just ran AIDA64 and hit 81C max load, etc. i have adjusted case fan speeds but not my CPU fan. Any recommendations? My CPU fan is currently set to 40% at 30C and case fans are 60% at 30C. It sounds like a jet engine when i boot up a tab. Thank you in advance for any help i can get on this!

Aug 12, 2019
Hey there. So after a few days of testing this. I could let me PC sit by itself for 10-15 minutes, idle, no google chrome tabs, etc. and my fans still kick in because my CPU hits 50 degrees. It gets quite annoying because i can hear it constantly kicking the fans on a higher speed and then hear them go down. I did a 30 minute stress test on Aida and only hit a max of 81C. Did i apply thermal paste wrong? This seems like something not normal even for an i7 which i know runs hotter. i watched my CPU jump from 29-43C just now while i am typing this. I have one tab of chrome open and discord. This just seems unnatural. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Aug 18, 2019
If you don't mind asking, what is your CPU casing, and what is the position of the casing is it near to a wall or so? because if the space is narrow it could affect the airflow, and I do agree with Jon try to check your thermal paste.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
If you don't mind asking, what is your CPU casing, and what is the position of the casing is it near to a wall or so? because if the space is narrow it could affect the airflow, and I do agree with Jon try to check your thermal paste.
I am using an NZXT S340, not the elite. just the normal S340. my PC is about a foot away from the wall. Two intake Fans in front and exhaust out the top and back. i never had a cooling issue in the past as it has been in the same spot for 3 years. and just over the past couple months, i have been seeing the spikes. i just reapplied thermal paste a week and a half ago. Do you still recommend me checking that and reapplying? i did read through other forums to up the voltage. my voltage on the core was suuuper low so i upped it to 1.230. that seemed to sort of stabilize but even opening 1 tab of google chrome shoots my temps to mid 50C. i know chrome is a resource hog but that's nuts. i did play a pretty labor intensive game after increasing voltage and it was stable. it's only when i'm doing basic browsing that just doesn't make sense

Aug 12, 2019
I am using an NZXT S340, not the elite. just the normal S340. my PC is about a foot away from the wall. Two intake Fans in front and exhaust out the top and back. i never had a cooling issue in the past as it has been in the same spot for 3 years. and just over the past couple months, i have been seeing the spikes. i just reapplied thermal paste a week and a half ago. Do you still recommend me checking that and reapplying? i did read through other forums to up the voltage. my voltage on the core was suuuper low so i upped it to 1.230. that seemed to sort of stabilize but even opening 1 tab of google chrome shoots my temps to mid 50C. i know chrome is a resource hog but that's nuts. i did play a pretty labor intensive game after increasing voltage and it was stable. it's only when i'm doing basic browsing that just doesn't make sense
Just adding that my PC case sits parallel to my wall.

Aug 18, 2019
I see, well that should be sufficient and yes try reapplying new thermal and try to use the Artic-MX4 thermal paste quite expensive however it should its job, or there could be underlying sources that use resources in the background try run the computer clean boot and disable all the services and observe the temps.

and when applying paste make sure to clean and add adequate paste to the CPU let me know what happens :D

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Hey there! First post here! Here is the issue i’m having. My temps are going from idle at roughly 32C and jumping to 50C the second i open a single tab of google chrome and then going back down a few seconds later. If i’m doing multiple things, the fan will kick up, slow down, etc. I know chrome is a resource hog but this has happened even when i open file explorer or just a simple app on my desktop. I am running an asus z270F mobo, i7-7700K, cryorig C7 cooler, no overclock. This has been going on for a while now but it’s finally a concern since i just ran AIDA64 and hit 81C max load, etc. i have adjusted case fan speeds but not my CPU fan. Any recommendations? My CPU fan is currently set to 40% at 30C and case fans are 60% at 30C. It sounds like a jet engine when i boot up a tab. Thank you in advance for any help i can get on this!

"jumping to 50C the second i open a single tab " is that literal?
+20C in a second or two? (somethings wrong)
what monitoring software are you using?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
iamE_D,

Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in load.

Intel’s specification for Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) response time for Core temperatures is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels. This allows the processor to more rapidly complete brief Windows tasks then quickly return to idle, thereby saving energy.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which can also cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are implementing BIOS updates that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options.

When the i7-7700K was first launched in January 2017, a very lengthy thread that has 1,110 responses was started in Intel's Forums titled: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k? - https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490E0VSAU/thermal-sensor-issue-i77700k?language=en_US&start=540&tstart=0

The thread's title is very misleading
because it wasn't until many dozens of responses later when they began to come to grips with the root cause of the problem, which had nothing to do with any thermal sensor issues. Intel's lame response angered a large portion of the gaming and overclocking communities. It turns out that many users were experiencing exactly the same problems with fan fluctuations at idle that you've described.

Reapplying thermal compound and re-seating your cooler will have no effect on thermal spiking. Workload drives Power consumption (Watts), which in turn drives Core temperatures. This means spiking is strictly a result of foreground and background software activities. Although fluctuations in Core temperatures at idle can never be eliminated, there are two action you can take to alter thermal and fan behaviors:

First, cleaning up your software will achieve a more "quiet" idle condition, which will minimize spiking.

Second, revisit your fan settings in BIOS to optimize the temperature thresholds at which the fans begin to spin up.

Don't be reluctant to experiment with these settings. It's OK to make large temperature increases in CPU fan thresholds where your fan RPM remains slow and quiet until about 75°C. After you've discovered which settings and values maintain effective cooling during heavy workloads, while allowing fan RPM to remain undisturbed at idle and moderate workloads, you can later dial back and fine-tune the settings.

In addition to temperature thresholds, look for time delay settings, which is sometimes called "hysteresis". Thresholds and time delays can interact with one another, so there's no magic formula. Unfortunately, the key comes down to trial and error. Just work with the settings. Be patient but persistent. You'll find the combination and solve the problem. Consult your motherboard's user manual for where to find these settings.

CT :sol:

Reactions: Cuss_ed

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe it's time to change the thermal paste... It doesn't last forever.
Most pastes actually DO last forever as long as left undisturbed. The "active" ingredient in thermal pastes are aluminum oxide, zinc oxide, graphite, diamond powder, etc. which are chemically stable and will last 100+ years. Paste "stops" working when the tight packing that forms over times, pressure and thermal cycles gets broken by mechanical strain or shock such as bumping a PC while moving it or bumping the HSF while changing something inside the case or dusting off the HSF.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hey! so i adjusted my fan curves and it is fairly stable when under load. I have not messed with thresholds or time delays yet as i do not want to royally screw my PC up. i do have a bunch of processes running. roughly 175 at a time even in idle so that may have something to do with it but ive noticed i get these spikes under very little load. is that related to these hysterisis? or the TDS?
As I mentioned in my post above, spiking is strictly a result of foreground and background software activities.

Although Windows always has unnecessary Startup programs running as well as dozens of Processes and Services, if we were to take that all away so there was no software activity, then the processor would have nothing to process ... thus no spikes from software workloads, so no spikes in Core temperatures.

Software workloads drive CPU Power consumption (Watts) which in turn drives Core temperatures.

Further, the term "hysteresis" which is sometime used in BIOS by motherboard manufacturers is synonymous with "time delay" or the time required for fan RPM to increase or decrease with changes in processor temperatures.

For example, if the Time Delay Setting is 1.0 seconds, but your thermal spikes have a duration of 2.0 seconds, then your fans will spin up. However, if the setting is 3.0 seconds but your thermal spikes are still 2.0 seconds, then your fans will not spin up.

Moreover, if your idle Core temperatures spike up to 50°C, but your CPU fan curve threshold is set to increase RPM at 40°C, then your fans will spin up. Likewise, if your Core temperatures still spike up to 50°C, but your fan curve threshold is set to increase RPM at 60°C, then your fans will not spin up.

Since time delay and fan threshold settings may interact with one another, you may need to adjust one or the other, or both to get your fans to settle down at idle. Consult your motherboard's user manual for details concerning these settings.

Glad to know this is not something that happend on AMD cpus only, I wonder if Microsoft screwed up something really bad on the lastest Windows 10 patches.

As for the topic, besides what everyone else posted, see if you have any animated wallpaper (or similar program doing stuff on the background) and turn it OFF.

Aug 12, 2019
Glad to know this is not something that happend on AMD cpus only, I wonder if Microsoft screwed up something really bad on the lastest Windows 10 patches.

As for the topic, besides what everyone else posted, see if you have any animated wallpaper (or similar program doing stuff on the background) and turn it OFF.
yeah i don't use animated wallpaper for that specific reason. it's cool but not worth the extra stress on the PC

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 12, 2019
As I mentioned in my post above, spiking is strictly a result of foreground and background software activities.

Although Windows always has unnecessary Startup programs running as well as dozens of Processes and Services, if we were to take that all away so there was no software activity, then the processor would have nothing to process ... thus no spikes from software workloads, so no spikes in Core temperatures.

Software workloads drive CPU Power consumption (Watts) which in turn drives Core temperatures.

Further, the term "hysteresis" which is sometime used in BIOS by motherboard manufacturers is synonymous with "time delay" or the time required for fan RPM to increase or decrease with changes in processor temperatures.

For example, if the Time Delay Setting is 1.0 seconds, but your thermal spikes have a duration of 2.0 seconds, then your fans will spin up. However, if the setting is 3.0 seconds but your thermal spikes are still 2.0 seconds, then your fans will not spin up.

Moreover, if your idle Core temperatures spike up to 50°C, but your CPU fan curve threshold is set to increase RPM at 40°C, then your fans will spin up. Likewise, if your Core temperatures still spike up to 50°C, but your fan curve threshold is set to increase RPM at 60°C, then your fans will not spin up.

Since time delay and fan threshold settings may interact with one another, you may need to adjust one or the other, or both to get your fans to settle down at idle. Consult your motherboard's user manual for details concerning these settings.

Thank You so much everyone for all the responses and help on this matter. I am going to look at my motherboard manual to see if i can fix this issue at hand. i'll check back in soon!

Reactions: RodroX