[SOLVED] Cpu temp jumping to 85-95 Celcius for 1 sec and then back to 60-70 in CoD menu, is this bad for the cpu?

Jul 26, 2021
So when I'm in the CoD Vanguard menu waiting for the next game, my cpu temperature sometimes spikes to 85-95 degrees for 1 second and then back to 60-70. Is this bad for the cpu or is this normal?

I'm using an i7-10700F (boosted with the intel turbo booster) and a NZXT Kraken M22 (1 Fan)

Solution
Is it bad? No, it's within the cpu's specs. They're designed to give you max performance, even IF the cpu was running at 98C - personal comfort zones aside.

Is it normal? Probably not, but there's not that much info to go on either.
I know those Kraken M22s have a reliability problem, but it could also be that bios, power plan, and game settings are overall too aggressive and cause those spikes in heavy scenes.
120mm AIO is kinda small for that cpu under the right conditions.
As said, not much to go on, like:
-how long that cooler's been in use. M22 seems to throw in the towel within a year. The design and size also makes it difficult to control where the air pockets settle.
-airflow setup. Fans aren't blowing against each other, nor...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it bad? No, it's within the cpu's specs. They're designed to give you max performance, even IF the cpu was running at 98C - personal comfort zones aside.

Is it normal? Probably not, but there's not that much info to go on either.
I know those Kraken M22s have a reliability problem, but it could also be that bios, power plan, and game settings are overall too aggressive and cause those spikes in heavy scenes.
120mm AIO is kinda small for that cpu under the right conditions.
As said, not much to go on, like:
-how long that cooler's been in use. M22 seems to throw in the towel within a year. The design and size also makes it difficult to control where the air pockets settle.
-airflow setup. Fans aren't blowing against each other, nor are being choked by solid panels.
-high performance power plans and higher refresh rates cause the cpu to use more energy. The menu in that game may be capped at a lower framerate than in game - because who needs 300+fps in a menu, right?

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
I had the same issue as yours gaming make my temps spike to the 90's and hovers in the 80's, I am using a 120mm AIO cooler in a push-pull with fans and pumps at 100%. I swapped the aio with a decent tower cooler (Thermalright Assassin King 120) 5 pipe tower cooler and 1 fan on silent mode. and now I get decent temps gaming hovers just around the 50's and 60's, and some temp spikes to 70's and rarely 80's. if using aio 240mm would be better, unless your on a SFF where only a 120mm aio would fit at most.