Question CPU temp rises within seconds ?

Nov 20, 2022
Hi all, a couple of days ago I built my new rig, and I have a serious issue with the cpu temperature. As soon as my cpu load rise (I tested with 3d softwares I use and with User Benchmark, same problem), the temperature skyrocketed to the range of 85-95 in literally 2 seconds.
I did all the standard checks: the thermal paste is ok, the cooler is mounted ok, the pump is working and at a full speed all the time, the fans are also working and of course, they start to spin like crazy when the temperature rises.
EDIT: in idle the temp stays in the range of 38-45°

I uploaded a small capture of the temp rising during the User Benchmark cpu test: https://we.tl/t-9ehs4rCvvw

At the moment my specs are:

CPU: I7 13700kf
Mobo: Asus TUF Z690 Plus
Cooler: Deepcool GammaXXL v2 240

After all the due tests, my guess is the cooler is faulty somehow. The pump is spinning but one thing I noticed is that if I touch the tubes, I honestly can't feel anything moving. I had an Enermax Liqfusion and a Corsair Hydro and on both of them, you could actually feel some vibrations inside the tubes like the liquid was actually there and flowing.
Besides, I can't think of any other component issue that leads only to temp rising and no crash or freeze of any sort...

I'm waiting for the new cooler which will arrive tomorrow and see, in the meantime, I was curious if anyone could provide another possible cause for this issue.

Thanks in advance ^^

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

PSU: make, model, wattage, efficiency?

GPU: make, model, specs?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Memory: make, model, specs, configuration?

Attached peripherals?

Any overclocking?

What thermal paste was used and how was the paste applied?

Are you able to take a copy of photographs showing the inside of the case?

If so, do so, and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Nov 20, 2022
More information needed:

PSU: make, model, wattage, efficiency?

GPU: make, model, specs?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Memory: make, model, specs, configuration?

Attached peripherals?

Any overclocking?

What thermal paste was used and how was the paste applied?

Are you able to take a copy of photographs showing the inside of the case?

If so, do so, and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Sorry, here's my full specs

CPU: I7 13700kf

Mobo: Asus TUF Z690 Plus

Cooler: Deepcool GammaXXL v2 240

Memory: Corsair DDR5 32GB 5600 Vengeance CL36 CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 2x16GB

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

GPU: Asus Tuf RTX 3090

Disks: 1 SSd Samsung 850 pro 256gb
1 SSd Samsung 860 evo 500gb
1 Ssd Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
1 Hdd Seagate sata 2tb
(The disks are coming from my previous build, using the 500gb for the new os installation)

Peripherals: corsair keyboard and mouse, 2x 27'' monitor on dpport.

No overclocking so far, I tried to enable Xmp but it won't boot unless I manually cap the frequency to 4400mhz, but right now it's all on default values with xmp off.

For the thermal paste I used Arctic MX4, then was out of it when I unmounted to double checking the mount and I used the one I found included with the cooler.
I ordered a new package of arctic mx4 for using it on my new cooler tomorrow.

here are two pictures of the case:
View: https://imgur.com/a/XgtR2Zd

I had to mount the cooler facing downward cause otherwise it would bump on the ram...

EDIT: I still didn't test the pc with games yesterday, today I tried Overwatch (which isn't very heavy to handle) and the Cpu barely reached 65°. But still have the problem if I try to run a benchmark or use Houdini to work.

Ralston18

Titan
So the cooler is blowing the warm/hot exhaust air back into the case?

And blowing directly on the GPU?

What about the other fans? Locations, air flows/direction?

As a side note I also see some cable problems. For example that kinked cable resting on the GPU (Image 2/2).

However: cooler and fans first.

Nov 20, 2022
So the cooler is blowing the warm/hot exhaust air back into the case?

And blowing directly on the GPU?

What about the other fans? Locations, air flows/direction?

As a side note I also see some cable problems. For example that kinked cable resting on the GPU (Image 2/2).

However: cooler and fans first.

No, the cooler's fans are blowing toward the radiator, out of the case, the same goes for the other fan on the rear side.
I've also other two fans on the front of the case blowing air inside.
The Cable is the one for the rear vent, I can easily rearrange that.

When I said the cooler "downward" i meant the cpu piece with the hoses facing down, sorry I wasn't clear.

Can you rotate the cooler so the hoses are on top?

Mmmm I guess so, I can't mount it with hoses on the sides but I might be able to rotate it to the top. Sot sure about the tension for the tube.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you describe does sound like poor or no flow of fluid in the loop. Ability to feel vibrations in the tubes is not a good test - in fact, if you can feel that, there MAY be some air bubbles. Here's another way to test, especially when the CPU is running hot. Feel the TEMPERATURE of the tube at the PUMP unit, and again at the rad connections points. At both locations, one tube should be a bit warmer than the other - neither of them is hot. If both tubes are the SAME temperature, especially if both are equally cool, there is almost no liquid flow to move the heat from pump to radiator. That's a pump failure, time for warranty claim.

Nov 20, 2022
What you describe does sound like poor or no flow of fluid in the loop. Ability to feel vibrations in the tubes is not a good test - in fact, if you can feel that, there MAY be some air bubbles. Here's another way to test, especially when the CPU is running hot. Feel the TEMPERATURE of the tube at the PUMP unit, and again at the rad connections points. At both locations, one tube should be a bit warmer than the other - neither of them is hot. If both tubes are the SAME temperature, especially if both are equally cool, there is almost no liquid flow to move the heat from pump to radiator. That's a pump failure, time for warranty claim.

Yeah I read about feeling the temperature on the tubes, and honestly, I don't know how much of it should be felt, but in this case, I feel nothing, both tubes seem the same temperature to me. The new cooler should arrive today, I took a Corsair H100i this time, cause when I mounted this one the first time I got a feeling of "this is not fitting quite right here", like there's not enough clearance on the mobo and the adapter plate for the 1700 socket seems very cheap as material. Hope that's the issue and I'll solve it with this new cooler, I'll ask for a refund on the Deepcool.

Nov 20, 2022
I changed my cooler, mounted the new one, run a few tests.
The whole system seems pretty stable, but I still see some high values, like in the range of 85-95.
Is this suppose to be a normal operative range under heavy load with the 13th gen?
Right now it seems the system push my cpu to the full 5300mhz, which should be the boost; maybe should I consider to cap it somehow?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Assuming you did install a Corsair H100i system, check this item. Most AIO liquid-cooled systems operate the PUMP at full speed all the time. But Corsair is different. Their system allows you to run the pump speed less than max if you choose, and you can observe that speed and the options to change that in their iCUE software tool. I do not know how this option is set by default in a new system. Check it and see if you can increase the pump speed. You may need the extra heat movement for your high-power system.

Nov 20, 2022
Assuming you did install a Corsair H100i system, check this item. Most AIO liquid-cooled systems operate the PUMP at full speed all the time. But Corsair is different. Their system allows you to run the pump speed less than max if you choose, and you can observe that speed and the options to change that in their iCUE software tool. I do not know how this option is set by default in a new system. Check it and see if you can increase the pump speed. You may need the extra heat movement for your high-power system.

There's the controls on Icue:
View: https://imgur.com/a/f6ZDIz3

I can choose from different profiles but they're all with speed curves. I can create a Custom Profile with fixed RMP and assign it to the Fans, but not to the Pump. Anyway I kept an eye on it and even if there's a slight variation, I never saw the Pump going lower than 2492, seems to 100%ish all the time.

Another difference with the other coolers I have is on the pin cables. For the other coolers, I alwasy plugged the pump connector to the Aio port on the mobo and the fans on the Cpu Fan port. With this Corsair, the fans goes into an adapter that comes out in a Usb 2.0 header and a 3 pin which I plugged into the Cpu Fan port; I tried also in the AIO port but that would gave me a Bios error on the cpu fan...

Nov 20, 2022
Probably 360 280 at least.

That's understandable, I've should considered it, I'll probably buy a 360 in the next future. Meanwhile, I'll try to adapt things with this hardware. I ordered this thing here:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0B64XQ96X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

even if it says 12th gen the socket it's the same and users confirmed it works with the 13th gen; hoping to save some degrees...

Also, I followed a guide to perform a little Undervolting, in the specific I set up my Cpu core speed to 4600 and voltage to 1.250.
I ran up Cinebench before and after the test, and also did some testing in Houdini, and the temperatures now reach a max of 74 and I actually gained points from Cinebench...
Seems like a good starting point to maybe increase some values back and see within this cooler how much can I get without hitting worrying temperatures.

Nov 20, 2022
You might try the "Extreme" setting profile in iCUE to see if it helps.

I tried that, the noise increased a lot but didn't see so much of a difference in the temperatures. Guess I'll stick with these voltage settings and I'll try to optimize it a little bit. But for the time being, unless I did something wrong, the problem seems fixed ^^

Nov 20, 2022
A little update: although benches were fine, I experienced some freezes during a long Houdini simulation, like 20min or so. So I increased the voltage to 1.3; temperature obviously rose but still acceptable (78 peak) and it's seem stable now.
Nevertheless, I'll buy this cooler model but 360 in the near future.