Question CPU temp significantly increased overnight ?

Jan 28, 2022
Hi guys, the temperature of my CPU increased something like 25+C overnight, sitting at 58C idle and going up to 75-90C while running any app. Has always been around 30C idle and 65C while running heavy games. Tried to change the cooler but doesn’t seem to be the problem, nothing has changed. What could be the problem? What do I have to do? Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The specs and needs of those coolers are so different, it might not be a fair comparison.
The stock cooler's performance is gutted by the trending tempered glass side panels and gpus that dump their heat in the PC, only for the lil' downdraft cooler to inhale it before it gets out of the PC.

Those Kraken M22s are right there with those Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids that have been failing rather early.
Replace it with a decent tower air cooler, and it'll be a-ok. If a tower air doesn't fit, then another AIO that isn't one of the above. But I recommend having a backup cooler for when AIOs fail if you don't want to use the Wraith as a backup.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 28, 2022
The specs and needs of those coolers are so different, it might not be a fair comparison.
The stock cooler's performance is gutted by the trending tempered glass side panels and gpus that dump their heat in the PC, only for the lil' downdraft cooler to inhale it before it gets out of the PC.

Those Kraken M22s are right there with those Msi MAG and MPG Coreliquids that have been failing rather early.
Replace it with a decent tower air cooler, and it'll be a-ok. If a tower air doesn't fit, then another AIO that isn't one of the above. But I recommend having a backup cooler for when AIOs fail if you don't want to use the Wraith as a backup.
Okay, I’ll try replacing the stock one with say a Noctua NH D14 and see if it does the job, if not, I’ll know where to ask. Thanks! Anyways, just pour parler, could it be something else? Like a virus or idk?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The virus would have to be using the cpu. Kinda like when running a cpu heavy benchmark. If you haven't observed the cpu changing in that aspect, well...

Also, the 1 day reviews of the Kraken M22, MAG, and MPG coolers are good/decent. Ownership reviews of 6 months or longer are not.

Jan 28, 2022
The virus would have to be using the cpu. Kinda like when running a cpu heavy benchmark. If you haven't observed the cpu changing in that aspect, well...

Also, the 1 day reviews of the Kraken M22, MAG, and MPG coolers are good/decent. Ownership reviews of 6 months or longer are not.
Definitely not a virus then, usage is at 1%

Jan 28, 2022
Just got a new Noctua NH-U12S. Temps have generally gone down a bit. At the start it’s around 35C. Then when gaming doesn’t go past 70C but neither goes under 50C. Since I’ve always used liquid coolers, is this a normal temperature for this cooler considering my CPU? Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think I'm rather tolerant of fan noise, but find the NF-F12 fan is an annoying little thing. I sit about 1.5m from my PC, and 70% is about my limit for them with a little music playing. With no external sounds, definitely a little lower.
Since the cooler's performance is acceptable, play with the fan curve in bios first. Following example is from an Asus bios, so yours might not look the same:
Cpu Upper Temperature: 75C. You can try a higher value, but your board may invalidate it, and give you the highest possible it offers.
Cpu Fan Max Duty Cycle(%): 100%. I don't think it does much good to set this one lower than that. At least on my board, if it crosses, I think 80C, the mobo ignores fan curves and runs 100% until temperature drops below that.

Cpu Middle Temperature: 70C
Cpu Fan Middle Duty Cycle(%): The highest you're comfortable with. If it's 50%, then enter that.

Cpu Lower Temperature: You might be able to enter the same value as middle, so try it.
Cpu Fan Min Duty Cycle(%): Try the same as middle.

If done like that, the fan should stay at whatever you set it at, all the way up to 70C.