[SOLVED] CPU temp too unstable on new build

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hi. I have bought a cpu+mobo+ram combo and I installed them.
The CPU is Ryzen 3 3300x. I have installed the box cooler that came with the package.
When I do some very basic tasks like browsing or installing the drivers, cpu temperature seems to be very unstable , like going up and down about 10 degrees in just few seconds. The fan is also kinda going crazy, between 1000 and 2500 rpm.
Here's example:
ryzen-dynamic-temp.gif

Also are these temps normal (65-80*C) for Ryzen 3 3300x(they seem a bit high to me for just chrome browsing). I didn't test any games yet.
The CPU cooler is also annoying changing the RPM constantly.

Is it possible that I didn't tighten the cooler enough so it is not making any contact with the CPU chip?
EDIT: this test is on open case on both sides. No other fans in the case except the gpu. Ambient temp is 25C

Last edited:
Solution
Don't stress test with the stock cooler. That will achieve NOTHING, as it wasn't designed for loads like that.
@hotsaucebg3
Your thermals are normal, the boost behavior is also normal, and so is the fan behavior as well.
What you do need to do is set your own fan curve, like this:
"You'll need to know some things first. Like the temp when gaming.

What you do is raise the lower end, so instead of 40% fan speed at 0-40°C climbing to 70% speed at 40-60°C and 70-100% at 60+°C, raise the minimum to 60% at 0-70°C, 70% at 70°, 100% at 70+°C.

Your idle will generally be in the 40's (ish) with spikes upto mid 60s. Gaming is usually somewhere in the 70's. By lowering the slope and setting temp points above where things happen, you'll...
Jul 12, 2020
temps seem high. but when yo open task manager, you see CPU load will fluctuate based on background tasks. Netflix, antivirus, update etc. put load on randomly. the PC never is really idle for long.

check the fan curve for the fans.they react to CPU temp. Seems extreme to more than double the speed for 10°C, but could be set that way. My board has 80°C as highest temp and runs fans at 100% at that temp and I can't change that. May be similar for you.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
AMD Ryzen processors use single core for light tasks. That's why one of the cores run hot while the others stay inactive. Background processes running on a single core can increase it's temp easily(and drops easily when the process is over). If you're trying be sure of it's overheating or not, try stress testing which'll make use of all the cores.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't stress test with the stock cooler. That will achieve NOTHING, as it wasn't designed for loads like that.
@hotsaucebg3
Your thermals are normal, the boost behavior is also normal, and so is the fan behavior as well.
What you do need to do is set your own fan curve, like this:
"You'll need to know some things first. Like the temp when gaming.

What you do is raise the lower end, so instead of 40% fan speed at 0-40°C climbing to 70% speed at 40-60°C and 70-100% at 60+°C, raise the minimum to 60% at 0-70°C, 70% at 70°, 100% at 70+°C.

Your idle will generally be in the 40's (ish) with spikes upto mid 60s. Gaming is usually somewhere in the 70's. By lowering the slope and setting temp points above where things happen, you'll minimize the affects the spikes, gaming loads have on the fans themselves."

Solution