Question CPU temperature spikes (i5-11500)

Jun 14, 2022
Greetings.
So, recently I built a new PC and found out that my CPU temperature rises really high. For example, if I just open one single app (let's say Chrome) the CPU temperature rises up to 75C (from its idle form of 45C), but it also lowers shortly after, with the CPU Cooler fan reaching insane speeds. Something else that scared me was when I opened and launched Minecraft, I was monitoring the CPU temperature and it started rising from 45C up to 98C. Didn't even get to play it, just launched it, and the CPU temperature started rising, but shortly after, dropped down to 75C. Although, after every temperature spike it lowers back to somewhat normal, it seemed odd to me. After much searching, I came to the conclusion that my motherboard might be faulty? I am very confused, and every help would be very much appreciated.
Just in case it helps in any way, my PC components are:
-CPU: i5-11500
-Motherboard: MSI MAG B560 TORPEDO
-RAM: Patriot Viper Elite II 16GB DDR4
-PSU: CoolerMaster V650 650W

I'm using the stock cooler and I made sure that it's placed correctly.

What thermal paste did you use? Your idle temps are on the high side. Typically you can expect temps (even with stock cooler) to be a bit lower. Should be close to: Idle 30-35c, Gaming 55-70c, Stress load 70-80c.
What are your ambient temps? Is it very warm where you are? This can also have an effect, which could account for some increase, but not hitting 98c on Minecraft.

What case do you have? Does it have good airflow?

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
You have identified the problem. The stock cooler provides barely adequate cooling. If you want better temperatures when playing a game then you will need to spend some money on a better cooler. Temperature spikes and peak temperatures at or near the 100°C thermal throttling temperature are normal for the stock cooler.
I have a i5 10400 with a cooler just like the stock one and I never reach that kind of temps. And the CPU are not the same, but they are very equal.
My idle temps are 35/38º and in game 55/60º

TRENDING THREADS