Cpu temperature too high

jeremy.dijkstra

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
So I noticed that my cpu (Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz) gets really hot when playing games. When i play gtav online my cpu gets over 90 degrees (with the intel stockcooler). So i bought a new cooler, the CoolerMaster HyperTx3i. But even with my new cooler its over 85 degrees. I really dont know how this is possible. Is my cpu to old? Are my coolers not good enough?

I hope you guys can help me out!

TIA, Jeremy

Solution

What software are you using to measure your temperatures?

Keep in mind 85 is still safe, even 90.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
When you installed the new cooler did you clean off all the old thermal paste off your processor? WHen installing the new cooler did you put it into place and lock it down or did you move/remove it and place it again?

Next up whats your case airflow like? Dust inside? How many fans?

jeremy.dijkstra

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
I removed all the old thermal paste and added new one. After that i installed the cooler and clicked and locked those pins into the motherboard.
My airflow is okay I guess. Got one rare case cooler and two in the front (sharkoon m25-w black).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

WHats the ambient temperature of the room you are in?

Are all the fans clean and working? And as I asked, have you cleaned all the dust out?

jeremy.dijkstra

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
The temp in my room is around 20 degrees. All of my fans are working properly. I also removed all the dust with CompressedAir. There shouldn't be any dust that's affecting my pc.

btw thx for the fast replies:)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

What software are you using to measure your temperatures?

Keep in mind 85 is still safe, even 90.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

ok 95 to 100 is bad. 100 is where the processor will throttle.

Your front fans are blowing in and the rear blowing out? Is the cpu fan plugged into the right spot?

Try with the side panel of the case removed too.

jeremy.dijkstra

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Yes front fans are blowing in and my rear fan out, My cpufan is connected to the cpu_fan1 and i already tried it without sidepanels, but it didn't change much. Maybe its time for a new processor.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

First off before you say new processor keep in mind processors for your motherboard have not been made for quite a few years, so unless you go used on eBay you're looking for a new motherboard too and ram.

Temps like that aren't usually signs of a processor failing, but without having anything in front of me its hard for me to tell. How did you apply the thermal paste (or was it pre applied and you just installed the cooler?).

jeremy.dijkstra

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Yea I already checked which parts i should get. If i want to go for a new cpu, ill also need a new motherboard with 1151 socket and new ddr4 ram (now i have ddr3). And i applied the paste according to youtube videos.

1: remove old paste
2: add new one on the cpu
3: install the cooler and thats it

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well not that simple. You need to use a VERY small amount, like the size of a grain of rice on the CPU. Also a lot of coolermaster coolers come with paste already on them. I'm assuming you checked it (the surface of the cooler would have had a gray square) before doing that.

I'm just confused because based on all you have said you really shouldn't have this problem.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

75 is a perfect temperature. Sounds like I was right in the first place, its the only thing that makes sense in all this.