[SOLVED] CPU temperatures under full load 70-80 degrees celsius- help?

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Hi,
So I have a Ryzen 3700x CPU and as per title, the temperatures are reading between 70-80 degrees when under full load (gaming) according to HWMonitor. I believe I have adequate cooling within the case as I have 4 fans, but the CPU still has the stock cooler.

Now before I go changing the cooler when it may not be necessary, are these temps actually something to worry about?

I'll also add that sometimes it is a bit erratic (as in it'll suddenly start spinning very fast and then suddenly slowing down) but it has always been like this :)

Tia :)

Solution
Honestly might just go and downgrade to a 3600 as I doubt I can fit a bigger cooler on the 3700x due to space issues. Such a shame but I don't know what else to do.
80C is the max temperature in the Aida stress test...I'd say that's pretty good when running with the stock Wraith Prism cooler. The 80C max while gaming is probably just a temp spike ... the important temp is the 69C average. Don't follow temp spikes, look at averages over a period of time. That's what tells the true story. It's perfectly normal for ryzen to have short temp spikes when it boosts.

If you've space issues in your case you might have poor case airflow so that's something to look into. A fan drawing air in, and one drawing air out. Better yet...
The temperature jumping (spiking) is typical of Ryzen when it boosts a core. There are a lot of sensors on the die and it's reporting only the hottest one at the moment.

While the temperature isn't unsafe at all for Ryzen (TJmax is 95C), 70-80 while only gaming (that's hardly going to be a 'full load' on an 8 core/16 thread processor) does seem a bit high. Are you using stock cooling? a good 'big air' cooler or AIO can help keep temperature lower, which will help keep the processor from pulling back on the boost clocks.

Also, the right way to determine the true temp of the CPU is to look at an 'average' temperature instead of the spikes. You can get that with either Ryzenmaster's temp readout or using HWInfo64 and look for the CPU Die(average) temperature sensor reading.

The temperature jumping (spiking) is typical of Ryzen when it boosts a core. There are a lot of sensors on the die and it's reporting only the hottest one at the moment.

While the temperature isn't unsafe at all for Ryzen (TJmax is 95C), 70-80 while only gaming (that's hardly going to be a 'full load' on an 8 core/16 thread processor) does seem a bit high. Are you using stock cooling? a good 'big air' cooler or AIO can help keep temperature lower, which will help keep the processor from pulling back on the boost clocks.

Also, the right way to determine the true temp of the CPU is to look at an 'average' temperature instead of the spikes. You can get that with either Ryzenmaster's temp readout or using HWInfo64 and look for the CPU Die(average) temperature sensor reading.
To improve your thermals you need to conduct a stress test using AIDA64.
Stability of your system is the important thing and a single core boost pushing temps to what you are getting is not a measure of stability.
The wraith prism cooler that comes with the 3700x is adequate for normal operations however it will not cope if you intend to Overclock. For that you will require an AIO water cooler.
List the rest of your system specs including the case and fan setup.

Reactions: H0PEFU11Y

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019

Will try those two programs :) The problem is I have found in the past that Ryzenmaster and HWMonitor report different temperatures, sometimes very different ones so I question reliability.

Will look into the coolers :) any suggestions at all? I'm pretty clueless!

Thankyou :)

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Stability of your system is the important thing and a single core boost pushing temps to what you are getting is not a measure of stability.
The wraith prism cooler that comes with the 3700x is adequate for normal operations however it will not cope if you intend to Overclock. For that you will require an AIO water cooler.
Oh the only thing I've overclocked is the RAM as it's 3600mhz defaulting to 2133mhz (iirc). I may bring this down back to it's defaults again.

Will definitely try AIDA64 tomorrow (it's late at the moment so I'm just about to head off to sleep). Is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for?

Also will edit in a few mins with specs (probably will be having to update my old list).
Edit: here's my specs!:

Last edited:
Will try those two programs :) The problem is I have found in the past that Ryzenmaster and HWMonitor report different temperatures, sometimes very different ones so I question reliability.

the difference in temps is because RyzenMaster provides the correct thermal state of the processor while HWMonitor is showing the hottest sensor at the moment. There's dozens of sensors, when the processor boosts to max clock one tiny spot on the die will get hot, very briefly during the boost, and the closest sensor will report it out. That's not very significant, thermally speaking. It's like lighting a match in a room: the match is hot, the room isn't. What Ryzenmaster does is average all the sensors together to get a better idea of the temperature.

HWInfo provides both temperatures readings right to gether so you can compare them.

As far as good coolers to get: go check Toms' cooler reviews! First thing to decide is if you want an air cooler or a liquid cooler.

The important sensor is measured on the Tdie in HWinfo64. By all means use different temperature sensors however not together as that can cause erroneous readings.

For a recommendation re the correct AIO, please list your case specs.

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Have tried AIDA64 and this is the result:
Played whilst gaming today and this what I got for it:
Honestly might just go and downgrade to a 3600 as I doubt I can fit a bigger cooler on the 3700x due to space issues. Such a shame but I don't know what else to do.

80C is the max temperature in the Aida stress test...I'd say that's pretty good when running with the stock Wraith Prism cooler. The 80C max while gaming is probably just a temp spike ... the important temp is the 69C average. Don't follow temp spikes, look at averages over a period of time. That's what tells the true story. It's perfectly normal for ryzen to have short temp spikes when it boosts.

If you've space issues in your case you might have poor case airflow so that's something to look into. A fan drawing air in, and one drawing air out. Better yet is two of each. And the tighter your case is the more important it becomes to dress cables well and not block airflow.

Downgrading to a 3600 isn't likely to change things beyond 2 fewer cores of processing power. And besides, your processor is operating normally for a Wraithe cooler. Nothing is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeanMachine41
Solution