CPU Temps While Gaming

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
I have an Intel I7 7700k CPU with an H100i V2 cooling it. I've noticed in certain games like borderlands pre-sequel and recently lawbreakers my CPU temps while gaming go anywhere from 38c-59c during gaming. (usually it hovers around 45-55). The thing is the CPU load is only around 30-35% so I would think the temps would be lower and not fluctuate as much?

I then did the Intel extreme turning stress test for 10 minutes and the highest temp it recorded was 60c and majority of the time it was 45c-55c with 100% load. I found that to be a little odd that it was the same temps as when I was gaming with 35% load.

Maybe i'm not understanding something here but it would be great to get some feedback to see if these temps i'm getting are considered normal while gaming and if the fluctuation is to be expected.

My build:

Asus ROG formula IX motherboard
Asus ROG strix 1080 TI
i7 7700k
H100i V2
16gb vengeance 3200
Samsung 850 SSD
Barbuda 2TB HD
corsair 850 PSU
corsair 760T case

Thanks

Solution
It's not uncommon for the cpu temps to fluctuate during use, they change rapidly. Especially the newer cpu's with speed shift. The cpu responds much more quickly to demand. As far as temps and load, loads vary. A cpu at 100% use in a game or 100% use in extreme tuning utility isn't as stressful (and doesn't cause the cpu to get as hot) as prime95 for example or intel burn test. Many stress tests are fine for checking cpu stability but may not be great for thermal testing. P95 isn't the best for stress testing but is better for thermal testing using small fft's because it's a steady load.

Other 'stress' tests, many are cyclic meaning they fluctuate a lot. A fluctuating test is similar to trying to take your temperature with a...

t53186

Distinguished
I say those temps are fine. CPU temps do vary kind of wildly when under load. I have an i3930k with a single fan H80 and corsair link for monitoring/fan control. Running the intel XTU can get the CPU up to 60 when running for 30 minutes, real time temp is lower in game.

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
I just spoke to Intel and they said my 3200mhz ram could be causing the issue (temp fluctuation). They said I need to revert it back to 2400mhz....will this really lower/stabilize my cpu temps?

It's not uncommon for the cpu temps to fluctuate during use, they change rapidly. Especially the newer cpu's with speed shift. The cpu responds much more quickly to demand. As far as temps and load, loads vary. A cpu at 100% use in a game or 100% use in extreme tuning utility isn't as stressful (and doesn't cause the cpu to get as hot) as prime95 for example or intel burn test. Many stress tests are fine for checking cpu stability but may not be great for thermal testing. P95 isn't the best for stress testing but is better for thermal testing using small fft's because it's a steady load.

Other 'stress' tests, many are cyclic meaning they fluctuate a lot. A fluctuating test is similar to trying to take your temperature with a thermometer and keep pulling it out of your mouth then placing it back in. They say to leave it there and don't move it. Since the 7th gen uses speed shift v2 the cpu is fluctuating in response to a varied load and temps will likely move around. Overall I'd say it's normal. If you do decide to run prime95, go with version 26.6 and select small fft's.

Solution

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I had my RAM frequency set up incorrectly this whole time too which probably didn't help. I bought the Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz RAM. In my BIOS i just selected 3200mhz instead of clicking XMP (which I should have probably done) this was causing it to give 1.5v... I did the intel memory stress test and failed within the first 5 seconds.

I decided to just set it to "auto" and it defaults to 2133mhz right now and it was able to pass the stress test no problem. I then tried playing some games and my FPS didn't really drop at all and games still play fine. Also it appears that my temp ranges are a little bit lower now (not sure if this is coincidence or not).

Seems like RAM frequency doesn't really play that big of a role when gaming is the main use. Should I just let the RAM stay at the default speed of 2133 since it seems to be running better? Or should I try and enabled XMP? (I'm afraid if I enable XMP it will change voltages to my CPU or cause it to run hotter).