CPU Temps

InvisSoul

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
Recently I have been having lots of problems with my system freezing while I am encoding video and a few times while running lots of programs. I've think that I've narrowed it down to either the processor or the ram.

My processor seems to be running hot I'm not quite sure what is normal though. It idles around 50c and when it goes to encoding video which really loads the system it shoots up to around 57c. Are these normal temps or is it just overheating because of the load? Any solutions I can get to solve this problem.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Well it would help to know the processor and your ambient air temperature.

50C is a bit on the high side generally speaking although it shouldn't harm your computer.

More likely that your case is too warm and maybe that your graphics card is running too hot. What kind of case do you have? If it's a cheapy you could cut a hole in the side and put a fan (blowing on the cpu) and a grill using a dremel.. Do you own case mod.

<A HREF="http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Temperatures.shtml" target="_new">CPU Temperatures</A>

The loving are the daring!

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Could be bad cpu cooling, could be bad airflow in the case, could be your RAM.

Full system specs with case and # of case fans would be nice.

My guess is that you need to maybe add a couple fans. One in the side blowing on the cpu, and one in the back taking out the hot air.

Also have you run memtest? or anything to test the ram to see if its bad?

InvisSoul

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
Oh man I can't believe I forgot the most important info.

I got a Athlon 2600XP, my room temp in around 15-18c. My case is hovering around 30c.

I have a Antec Silent case, only 2 fans in the system, one processor and the other case fan. I have 1gb of ram and haven't run memtest yet but I will run that as well.

I got 3 HDD's in it as well which could add some heat to the mix.

InvisSoul

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
OK so I ran the memtest and it found no errors and the test passed. Cooling could be the issue I assume....what are normal operating temps for a Athlon XP 2600?

Asus A7V600
Athlon XP 2600
2 512MB PC3200
GeForce FX5200
WD 20GB
WD 160GB
Maxtor 80GB
380W Power Supply
1 case fan and 1 Cpu fan

Idle should be in the high 30's or low 40's - depends on your HSF. 57C at full load isn't too bad, but high 40s to low 50s would be better. With 30C case temps, your case is not too hot. Has your CPU temps just recently started rising to these levels? What HSF are you using?

InvisSoul

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2005
Well I am using a Cooler Master fan and heatsink. Nothing special it just has higher rpms then the stock fan I had.

I did just take some pressurizied air and saw there was a buildup of dust on the heatsink behind the fan. I cleaned it all out and now my temp has dropped to 41c idle. I might think of just upgrading the fan to a better design or just make sure that it's cleaned periodically.

I'll have to put a load on it and see if this helps. Any suggestions of good cooling would be helpful to.

pat

Expert
No matter hot good the cooler is, if it is dirty, it wont work.. Try the one you have now since you cleaned it, and if it is stable, then just keep it clean.

41 is good for that CPU.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>