Question CPU Temps

Dec 10, 2019
I recently switched out my motherboard to the MSI B450 Tomahawk. I have the Ryzen 5 2600x with the stock Wraith Spire cooler. When installing this I used my own Arctic MX 4 thermal paste instead of the preapplied paste. I have been using Core Temp to check my CPU temps and I'm running around 50-55 C on idle. Is this bad? On my old board I was not receiving temps this high at idle.

I was playing Magicka 2 last night and noticed my temps spiked all the way up to 78 C

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd is not Intel. Intel works by lowering voltages and frequency across all the cores, so temps at idle go way down, to @ 10°C above ambient. AMD does it differently. The shutdown parts of, or entire cores, leaving just one at a higher clock. So the idle temp you are seeing is 1 core working all of windows etc under its load. That's going to leave temps higher, but only on 1 core, the rest are asleep.

Load temps are different. 78°C is perfectly normal for a 2600x under a load, with the Spire cooler. You can use Ryzen Master and PBO settings to tweak that some, but now you are into OC so there's no guarantees. Otherwise the only way you'll see lower load temps is with a more effective cooler.

Dec 10, 2019
Amd is not Intel. Intel works by lowering voltages and frequency across all the cores, so temps at idle go way down, to @ 10°C above ambient. AMD does it differently. The shutdown parts of, or entire cores, leaving just one at a higher clock. So the idle temp you are seeing is 1 core working all of windows etc under its load. That's going to leave temps higher, but only on 1 core, the rest are asleep.

Load temps are different. 78°C is perfectly normal for a 2600x under a load, with the Spire cooler. You can use Ryzen Master and PBO settings to tweak that some, but now you are into OC so there's no guarantees. Otherwise the only way you'll see lower load temps is with a more effective cooler.
So my temps are normal then?