CPU Thermal paste.

trutledge

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Ok i just bought a Cooler master Hyper 212 sunday morning. i installed it sunday afternoon. it works great i love it. but i just went and got a new fan for it, one with LED's on it. i started changing the fan today and when doing so i spun the heat exchanger just a tiny bit. My question is should i remove the whole thing and re apply the thermal paste or should it be ok. i did start up the computer and everything is working properly. i ran a cpu stress test and checked the temps it's running cooler than with the stock fan but the new fan does run alot faster.

Solution
G

Yeah that's usually the best method, but I'm a little scared to remove the rad now that it's on there.
I have a H60 model just sitting in its box waiting for an RMA due to completely threaded screw holes. Admittedly this was my fault for removing it one too many times back when I was running in a push config, the dust build up was immense.

Those holes don't seem to last very long (ahuehuehue sexism), it's a bit surprising how much of the screw actually goes in to the rad to hold these things up, a couple of millimetres at best.
I get that space...

6R1M01R3

Distinguished
Its always recommended to re-apply the thermal paster after unmounting the heatsink, after cleaning it all of course.
Different fans have different RPM ranges, CFM and decibel measurements, just be sure that you use 4-pin connector fans.

Slight movement shouldnt disrupt the paste enough to warrant a reaplication.
If it was taken off, you should.

Overall, you will know if it needs to be replaced, temps will go up etc. Some people recommend replacing the paste every 6 months, I suggest watching temps then deciding. I go about a year, but thats because I got a new cooler and had to reapply the paste.

trutledge

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Why only 4 pin connector fans. the new fan only has a 3 pin going to the MOBO with only 1 yellow wire in it. but it also has a 4 pin that connects to the power supply.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished

You need to use PWM fans (4 pin connector) for the heatsink of the CPU, as PWM fans increase or decrease their speed depending on the load of the CPU delivering better cooling than the 3-pin fans, that are intended for being mounted on the chassis. The stock fan of the 212 is a PWM fan, I wouldnt recommend changing it unless it is for another PWM fan of better performance.

G

Dang, screw that.
Trying to hold on to two tubes while hooking two screws onto the AMD socket with the H80i is about as successful as my attempts to get a date with Emma Watson.

In all seriousness, I know I keep saying it but, who? Who at AMD thought clips were a good idea? Who and why are they not fired yet?

Anyway toodle pip, do continue with the discussion. Excuse my impetuous interruption.

G

Man I'm genuinely worried about the next time I mount. I managed to seat it perfectly last time but at the expense of over-gripping the point the two tubes come out of the block.
Pretty darn surprised they didn't fly out and leak liquid all over my system if I'm honest.

Corsair describes the tubing as 'flexible', clearly in the same way morning wood is.

G

Yeah that's usually the best method, but I'm a little scared to remove the rad now that it's on there.
I have a H60 model just sitting in its box waiting for an RMA due to completely threaded screw holes. Admittedly this was my fault for removing it one too many times back when I was running in a push config, the dust build up was immense.

Those holes don't seem to last very long (ahuehuehue sexism), it's a bit surprising how much of the screw actually goes in to the rad to hold these things up, a couple of millimetres at best.
I get that space is needed on the opposite side for Push/Pull, but there's still a good few mm to spare there for security sakes.

Oh and, for derailing the thread a bit - OP, no it doesn't sound like you need to reapply. Monitor those temps, if they go higher than the stated maximum TjMax for your chip then you might have to. Doesn't sound like it caused a problem though.

Solution