[SOLVED] cpu throttling or not?

Oct 21, 2021
Hi!
i have a zbook 17 g5 i5 8400h 2.5GHTZ boost to 4.2 ghtz
in furemark, cpuz, intel xtu, throttlestop, stress tests the cpu overrheat to 97c 100c
but the clock is 4Ghtz
and when i stress test the gpu p3200 the temp is under 65c
i change thermal past, clean laptop, format windows, evverythings but the cpu steals overheating
what should i do? is it ok?
note : i cant undervolt because i update the bios and it doesnt allow undervolting anymore

Solution
Hey there,

Some good advice from @Captain Discombobulate . This is normal for most gaming laptops. I run an I7 9750h, and it's the same thing. Although with changing thermal paste (Noctua NT H1) undervolt, laptop cooling pad etc I still get 80-83 gaming on BF V after an hour, running at 4ghz all core. This is acceptable for me.

to answer your question, yes, it's okay to game at that temps. The CPU is designed to operate like that in a laptop chassis. You've done most of the things that will help you reduce temps.

What thermal paste did you use? Do you have a laptop cooling pad (they can help with temps). Do you have Gaming Hub? PLay around with the settings if you do. Try default, which will reduce temps.

You said you used TS...
Hey there,

Some good advice from @Captain Discombobulate . This is normal for most gaming laptops. I run an I7 9750h, and it's the same thing. Although with changing thermal paste (Noctua NT H1) undervolt, laptop cooling pad etc I still get 80-83 gaming on BF V after an hour, running at 4ghz all core. This is acceptable for me.

to answer your question, yes, it's okay to game at that temps. The CPU is designed to operate like that in a laptop chassis. You've done most of the things that will help you reduce temps.

What thermal paste did you use? Do you have a laptop cooling pad (they can help with temps). Do you have Gaming Hub? PLay around with the settings if you do. Try default, which will reduce temps.

You said you used TS and XTU? use only one. They interfere with each other. I use TS, and have an undevolt of -221mv. Whilst you may not get that, you can expect at least -120mv for your CPU.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

Hey there,

Some good advice from @Captain Discombobulate . This is normal for most gaming laptops. I run an I7 9750h, and it's the same thing. Although with changing thermal paste (Noctua NT H1) undervolt, laptop cooling pad etc I still get 80-83 gaming on BF V after an hour. This is acceptable for me.

You said you used TS and XTU? use only one. They interfere with each other. I use TS, and have an undevolt of -221mv. Whilst you may not get that, you can expect at least -120mv for your CPU.

I agree with you mostly. Some laptops cooling pads often hurt performance example (g7 7700) With mine there is no way to undervolt, I lapped the heatsink and used thermal grizzly Kryo and dropped 10c over all though :)

Oct 21, 2021
Hey there,

Some good advice from @Captain Discombobulate . This is normal for most gaming laptops. I run an I7 9750h, and it's the same thing. Although with changing thermal paste (Noctua NT H1) undervolt, laptop cooling pad etc I still get 80-83 gaming on BF V after an hour. This is acceptable for me.

yeah i am just afraid that my pc die in some point if i keep use it like that

I agree with you mostly. Some laptops cooling pads often hurt performance example (g7 7700) With mine there is no way to undervolt, I lapped the heatsink and used thermal grizzly Kryo and dropped 10c over all though :)

I agree with you mostly! 😀 Laptop cooling pads can be/sometimes not be effective, but what I would add is, that the right cooling pad is essential. Knowing the orientation of your laptops intakes and exhaust really help. I use a Klim Cyclone, and the top 3 fans align directly with my intakes. If I switch on the bottom two fans along with the top 3 the cooling effect is almost gone.

With that said, a cooling pad can keep your idle temps about 5-10c lower, and gaming temps by maybe 1-3c.

Yeah TG Kryo is a great paste. I've only tried it once on a friends lappie, and the difference was night and day.

yeah i am just afraid that my pc die in some point if i keep use it like that

No it won't die, but if it's hitting 90+c all the times, regardless of what you do, the fans will be running at full pelt nearly all the time. Try downclocking your CPU with TS. Instead of having all allowing your boost to go to 4ghz on 1 core, use TS to set the max boost at 3.8ghz which is your all core boost. This will lower temps. Also consider lowering it further. Example: I'm a big BF V multiplayer fan (every night for a few hours). I set my CPU to run at 3.2 ghz, which is perfectly fine for a 6 core CPU, temps never get over 75c after hours of playing. You'd be surprised how well games play with lower clockspeed (they aren't CPU bound). So maybe try that with your games, and see if the trade off in lowering clockspeed, and thus temps is worth it. This is the life of a gaming laptop owner! lol

Reactions: veryhot97
I've had an Asus i5 8265u and the same issue. Poor quality of the cooling system doesn't help.

Yeah, that's something I don't like about many laptop manufacturers. The cooling systems are often inadequate for the chips they are trying to cool, or at best, will just about do. Admittedly some cooling systems are better than others, but I've not seen a gaming laptop yet, that has desktop type temps. They will nearly always run hot. Uggh. It's annoying.

Reactions: veryhot97

TRENDING THREADS