Question CPU Throttling when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2019
Hello, I have a very annoying problem and can't figure out what's wrong. I've gathered some information and stats in hope that it'd help.

For quite some time I was having a problem with throttling of some kind. After playing some games for an ~hour, it begins to drop frames every few seconds, after 5 seconds of dropped frames it goes back to normal for ~15 seconds and then drops again.

I've updated my graphics drivers, BIOS, installed a fresh Windows, closed everything except the game, used "game booster", disabled windows virus protection, cleaned inside my laptop, made sure that power plan is on "High performance".

I bought this computer 3-4 years ago for on-the-go video editing and casual gaming.
2 years ago I remember bragging to my friend that I can run GTA V on high settings and get stable 60fps. Not anymore.

Installed Forza Horizon 3 a few days ago. Quite unplayable. Everything turned to lowest still getting 30-40fps and everything seem unusually choppy (not like "30fps choppy", worse) and delayed all the time.
Installed Apex Legends. On lowest possible settings I'm getting 25-35fps.

Troubleshooted everything and found out that my cpu maxed out on 100 C sometimes. Cleaned and changed thermal paste, temperatures now maxes at around 85-97 C. It is still too high I believe.

Specs:
CPU: i7 6700HQ 2.60GHz
Ram: 16GB 1063MHz
GPU: 4GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
Windows 10 Pro
(Lenovo Y700)

I'm lost :(

Launch HWMonitor, and then run the game; if it does not hit the throttle temp, you might have solved it with new paste application. (Laptops are difficult to cool when gaming, historically; in my opinion, most are not properly cooled to handle a steady gaming load.

Feb 12, 2019
Launch HWMonitor, and then run the game; if it does not hit the throttle temp, you might have solved it with new paste application. (Laptops are difficult to cool when gaming, historically; in my opinion, most are not properly cooled to handle a steady gaming load.

After 2 rounds of Apex Legends on lowest settings
71OPtWP.png

Yeah, I've found out that laptops aren't that good for gaming, but the thing is that previously it worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.