[SOLVED] CPU too slow on battery. Should I turn off Intel Speed shift/speed step?

Nov 16, 2020
CPU: Intel i7 9750 H
16 gb ram
56 watt battery
Dell Inspiron 7591

On charge, it delivers 3-4.5 ghz reliably and is not too bad with heat. When I remove charge, it clocks down to around 1 ghz. The max speed i clocked was 1.4 ghz. Although i get around 5-6 hours of normal use, it feels very slow and laggy.
I saw intel speed shift and speed step option in the BIOS and wondered if turning one of those off could help but at the same time I dont want to ruin my battery or decrease the processor life.
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you use CPU-Z and found out which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop(motherboard tab)? If you have BIOS updates pending(per your laptop's support site) then I'd advise on updating the BIOS gradually to the latest. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you use CPU-Z and found out which BIOS version you're currently on for your laptop(motherboard tab)? If you have BIOS updates pending(per your laptop's support site) then I'd advise on updating the BIOS gradually to the latest. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Solution