[SOLVED] CPU Troubleshooting Suggestions Needed

Sep 23, 2021
Backstory: earlier this year, I decided to rebuild my PC in an O11D Mini with a custom loop. I figured that while I was at it, I might as well upgrade my CPU from a 9600k to a 9900k that was on sale at MicroCenter at the time. Everything went well. The system ran for 6 months.

About a week ago, the PC refused to boot. I could get to the bios, but on the 2nd ROG motherboard splash screen, it would get stuck. I removed the RAM XMP profile and wasn't even running and CPU overclock at the time. I also reset the CMOS. Didn't help. I drained the loop, removed the CPU block, and installed a basic CPU cooler, then replaced the RAM as many discussion threads pointed to RAM as a possible issue. No luck there. During all of this, I eventually noticed that the CPU LED on the MoBo was red during one of the failed boots. I figured it was woth a shot so I replaced the 9900k with my old 9600k. After that, the system booted fine, original RAM and all. I am creating this post from that computer now.

We've had a number of severe thunderstorms lately, but the last time the system booted up properly with the i9, it also shut down properly (not due to power loss). And it is plugged in to a surge protector so I would think any power surges we may have experienced while the system was off would not have affected the CPU. I also can recall no thermal events with the system running. The water loop is pretty beefy and CPU temps maxed out in the 70s during gaming.

So, Tom's friends, any thoughts on what may have happened to this CPU? More importantly, is there any way to troubleshoot this thing or is it just toast?

Solution
Sure so it's an ASUS STRIX Z390i motherboard, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3600 DDR4, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE, 2TB Intel 660P NVME m.2 SSD, Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU, custom water cooling loop (2x360 radiator).

Worked for 6 months with the 9900k and now is working again with the 9600k.
tried to update the bios and the ME to the latest?
Backstory: earlier this year, I decided to rebuild my PC in an O11D Mini with a custom loop. I figured that while I was at it, I might as well upgrade my CPU from a 9600k to a 9900k that was on sale at MicroCenter at the time. Everything went well. The system ran for 6 months.

About a week ago, the PC refused to boot. I could get to the bios, but on the 2nd ROG motherboard splash screen, it would get stuck. I removed the RAM XMP profile and wasn't even running and CPU overclock at the time. I also reset the CMOS. Didn't help. I drained the loop, removed the CPU block, and installed a basic CPU cooler, then replaced the RAM as many discussion threads pointed to RAM as a possible issue. No luck there. During all of this, I eventually noticed that the CPU LED on the MoBo was red during one of the failed boots. I figured it was woth a shot so I replaced the 9900k with my old 9600k. After that, the system booted fine, original RAM and all. I am creating this post from that computer now.

We've had a number of severe thunderstorms lately, but the last time the system booted up properly with the i9, it also shut down properly (not due to power loss). And it is plugged in to a surge protector so I would think any power surges we may have experienced while the system was off would not have affected the CPU. I also can recall no thermal events with the system running. The water loop is pretty beefy and CPU temps maxed out in the 70s during gaming.

So, Tom's friends, any thoughts on what may have happened to this CPU? More importantly, is there any way to troubleshoot this thing or is it just toast?
could you list the full pc specs here please?

Sep 23, 2021
Sure so it's an ASUS STRIX Z390i motherboard, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3600 DDR4, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE, 2TB Intel 660P NVME m.2 SSD, Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU, custom water cooling loop (2x360 radiator).

Worked for 6 months with the 9900k and now is working again with the 9600k.

Sep 23, 2021
Ok so updated the BIOS and ME and replaced the 9900k back into the system and it works. I guess yay? But why? Why would it work for 6 months, stop working upon no apparent change, still work with a different CPU, and then work again with a BIOS update?

TRENDING THREADS