[SOLVED] CPU underperforming in games

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
Hello I have recently upgraded my CPU from a R3 1200 to a 3300x. Complete specs are as follows-

CPU- R3 3300X
RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400MHz in dual channel (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R)
GPU- MSI GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OCV1
PSU- CX 450
MOTHERBOARD- MSI B450M PRO VDH MAX (BIOS 7A38vB4 - AGESA 1.0.0.4)

My older CPU was bottlenecking my GPU in games like Cyberpunk , metro exodus, FC Primal, so I upgraded to a R3 3300X. I saw benchmarks on youtube and was able to confirm that R3 1200 should be the bottleneck in my system (see this video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L33n3TdSjNk&t=3213s). In the video the GTX 1650 clearly manages above 30 at 1080p ultra most of the time in the train sequence with a R3 3100 whereas my R3 1200 would drop to mid 20's in that sequence. The problem is that even after the upgrade I am dropping to mid 20's. IMO RAM should not be a bottleneck with GPU of this caliber at 1080p ultra settings( NVIDIA hairworks disabled and tessellation off in metro exodus).

I tried the following fixes-
  1. Fresh install of windows 10 to windows 21H2
  2. Installing the latest chipset drivers and Nvidia Geforce drivers
  3. Clearing CMOS
  4. Disabling windows game mode and switching to high performance power plan.
  5. Disabling all power saving features in BIOS, maxing out cTDP limit
  6. Reseating RAM
  7. Trying latest BIOS updates
  8. using max performance in Nvidia control panel.

At this point I have no further ideas to troubleshoot this issue. Also if it is genuinely the memory then that is really disappointing in terms of compatibility of this platform. If you guys have a solution please do post it.

Solution
red team should include the price of high cost RAM kits with their CPU because their CPUs work like garbage without it
no, users should do some research before purchasing and installing anything.

your current CPU and the memory will work fine with no noticeable negative impact on performance for the average PC user.
but when you're trying to get the very most out of a chip for heavy processing like gaming it is up to the system builder to determine the best route to take when purchasing components.
RAM should not matter when you are GPU bound
RAM speed has always had a noticeable impact on modern computer gaming.

and you are not "GPU bound".
your CPU processes all of a game's data and feeds it to the...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello I have recently upgraded my CPU from a R3 1200 to a 3300x. Complete specs are as follows-

CPU- R3 3300X
RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400MHz in dual channel (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R)
GPU- MSI GTX 1650 D6 AERO ITX OCV1
PSU- CX 450
MOTHERBOARD- MSI B450M PRO VDH MAX (BIOS 7A38vB4 - AGESA 1.0.0.4)

My older CPU was bottlenecking my GPU in games like Cyberpunk , metro exodus, FC Primal, so I upgraded to a R3 3300X. I saw benchmarks on youtube and was able to confirm that R3 1200 should be the bottleneck in my system (see this video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L33n3TdSjNk&t=3213s). In the video the GTX 1650 clearly manages above 30 at 1080p ultra most of the time in the train sequence with a R3 3100 whereas my R3 1200 would drop to mid 20's in that sequence. The problem is that even after the upgrade I am dropping to mid 20's. IMO RAM should not be a bottleneck with GPU of this caliber at 1080p ultra settings( NVIDIA hairworks disabled and tessellation off in metro exodus).

I tried the following fixes-
  1. Fresh install of windows 10 to windows 21H2
  2. Installing the latest chipset drivers and Nvidia Geforce drivers
  3. Clearing CMOS
  4. Disabling windows game mode and switching to high performance power plan.
  5. Disabling all power saving features in BIOS, maxing out cTDP limit
  6. Reseating RAM
  7. Trying latest BIOS updates
  8. using max performance in Nvidia control panel.
At this point I have no further ideas to troubleshoot this issue. Also if it is genuinely the memory then that is really disappointing in terms of compatibility of this platform. If you guys have a solution please do post it.
Slow memory speed kills the performance of AMD processors.

you've got slow RAM and a fairly low tiered graphics card.
your stated fps is what i would expect.

don't rely on YouTuber's videos for gaming comparisons.
you have to keep in mind that the majority of these videos out there are specifically made and titled to draw in viewers.
what they claim and what happens in real world scenarios are not the same the majority of the time.
if you want real comparisons read review articles from trusted sources with comparisons included.

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
Slow memory speed kills the performance of AMD processors.
I already had a bit of spat with members at anandtech forums about my issue. I 'll say the same thing I said there, that red team should include the price of high cost RAM kits with there CPU because there CPUs work like garbage without it. I thought my CPU is plenty fast and RAM should not matter when you are GPU bound. But liitle did I know that I purchased components from a garbage company (yes I mean the red team)

I already had a bit of spat with members at anandtech forums about my issue. I 'll say the same thing I said there, that red team should include the price of high cost RAM kits with there CPU because there CPUs work like garbage without it. I thought my CPU is plenty fast and RAM should not matter when you are GPU bound. But liitle did I know that I purchased components from a garbage company (yes I mean the red team)
These days RAM speed has a reasonable impact on both Intel and AMD. Several Intel generations ago the difference was minimal but they can now be impacted nearly the same as AMD.

red team should include the price of high cost RAM kits with their CPU because their CPUs work like garbage without it
no, users should do some research before purchasing and installing anything.

your current CPU and the memory will work fine with no noticeable negative impact on performance for the average PC user.
but when you're trying to get the very most out of a chip for heavy processing like gaming it is up to the system builder to determine the best route to take when purchasing components.
RAM should not matter when you are GPU bound
RAM speed has always had a noticeable impact on modern computer gaming.

and you are not "GPU bound".
your CPU processes all of a game's data and feeds it to the graphical processor which renders the data and relays the image to a display.
if your CPU cannot process data fast enough then your GPU can't provide the image(s) fast enough.
your memory's speed is tied to how fast either of these processes can interact and take place.

your game performance is being hindered by all three of your lower tiered components.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS