[SOLVED] CPU upgrade from I7-7700

Aug 17, 2021
Hello, everyone, I have been slowly upgrading this pc my parents brought me about 4 years ago. I finally have a job and can spend my own money on it. I have been noting my games are getting fps lower than 60 fps mostly red dead 2 and any newer game. I would like to upgrade my I7-7700. I have an EVGA RTX-2080 Super and don't plan on getting a 30 series for a while at least. I don't have a specific budget the cheaper the better, however. I'm fine with either intel or ryzen.
I'm not very good at describing issues so if I forgot anything just let me know.

Solution
Hello, everyone, I have been slowly upgrading this pc my parents brought me about 4 years ago. I finally have a job and can spend my own money on it. I have been noting my games are getting fps lower than 60 fps mostly red dead 2 and any newer game. I would like to upgrade my I7-7700. I have an EVGA RTX-2080 Super and don't plan on getting a 30 series for a while at least. I don't have a specific budget the cheaper the better, however. I'm fine with either intel or ryzen.
I'm not very good at describing issues so if I forgot anything just let me know.

It sounds like it is time to upgrade the i7 7700 as it sounds like you should be able to get more out of a 2080 Super (also no need to upgrade that gpu at the moment, it's still...

It sounds like it is time to upgrade the i7 7700 as it sounds like you should be able to get more out of a 2080 Super (also no need to upgrade that gpu at the moment, it's still up there with some of the best cards).

What would be helpful for completeness - could you list the rest of your specs... specifically RAM (size, speed, number of modules), Storage (e.g. NVME or Sata SSD or HDD) and what PSU you have? Also for your example of performance, it would be useful to know what resolution / settings you are running at - a 2080 Super should easily get over 60 fps at 1080p or 1440p, although if you are running at 4k for example it might actually be the limit of the GPU.

In terms of what to upgrade to, lots of good options at the moment, best value is probably Intel 11400, especially if you don't want to consider further upgrades for a while. The AMD equivalent would be the 5600X although that will cost more, you could also look at the older 3600 which is slower than the 11400 but probably fast enough to feed that 2080 Super. The advantage of going with AMD is you have more options for future upgrades without need to change motherboard (all the way up to 16 cores and potentially one more generation before they move to a new socket) however if you are talking keeping it for another 4 years that is probably not going to be much of a benefit as there will likely be better options on a new platform in 4 years time.

Solution
Aug 17, 2021
It sounds like it is time to upgrade the i7 7700 as it sounds like you should be able to get more out of a 2080 Super (also no need to upgrade that gpu at the moment, it's still up there with some of the best cards).

What would be helpful for completeness - could you list the rest of your specs... specifically RAM (size, speed, number of modules), Storage (e.g. NVME or Sata SSD or HDD) and what PSU you have? Also for your example of performance, it would be useful to know what resolution / settings you are running at - a 2080 Super should easily get over 60 fps at 1080p or 1440p, although if you are running at 4k for example it might actually be the limit of the GPU.

In terms of what to upgrade to, lots of good options at the moment, best value is probably Intel 11400, especially if you don't want to consider further upgrades for a while. The AMD equivalent would be the 5600X although that will cost more, you could also look at the older 3600 which is slower than the 11400 but probably fast enough to feed that 2080 Super. The advantage of going with AMD is you have more options for future upgrades without need to change motherboard (all the way up to 16 cores and potentially one more generation before they move to a new socket) however if you are talking keeping it for another 4 years that is probably not going to be much of a benefit as there will likely be better options on a new platform in 4 years time.
Alright, Im running games at 1440p with 16 gigs of corsair vengeance, PSU is a corsair 750. I use one nvme 1 ssd and 1 HDD however I am looking to get a new one a new nvme at a later point.

Aug 17, 2021

Alright, Im running games at 1440p with 16 gigs of corsair vengeance, PSU is a corsair 750. I use one nvme 1 ssd and 1 HDD however I am looking to get

Just to take a peek under the hood run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
I have the Intel i7 - 6700, and was thinking about the Ryzen 5900. But at this point it may be worth waiting for Intel's 12th gen. Upgrading the CPU also means RAM and motherboard, so sometimes it's worth waiting a couple months for the next thing.

logainofhades

Titan
I have the Intel i7 - 6700, and was thinking about the Ryzen 5900. But at this point it may be worth waiting for Intel's 12th gen. Upgrading the CPU also means RAM and motherboard, so sometimes it's worth waiting a couple months for the next thing.

They might not necessarily need to upgrade ram too, as their system has DDR4. I have done this combo, for someone else, and it worked out well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 UD AC ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $383.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 09:55 EDT-0400

You could save some and go with B560, but you have to be careful on selection. Many of the better B560 cost as much, if not more than Z590.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3AEj3x39vQ

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
I'd recommend a Ryzen 5600x with a B550 motherboard. If you have cash left over there are plenty of the 1tb SSDs around now that will also make a nice addition to a gaming rig.

You could do this, but you would have to settle for a low budget board, to get in under $400. I would also recommend a better cooler, as the stock one can be quite loud.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($288.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $388.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 16:52 EDT-0400