Question CPU Upgrade on a old machine

May 24, 2019
I currently own a dell inspiron 660. I've been upgrading it over the years, because I cannot afford a fancy new gaming computer. I've upgraded the power supply, put in 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, added an SSD, and fit a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. My PC can run most games fairly well, but it struggles with others. Whenever it starts having issues running a game it's because of the CPU load. This doesn't surprise me seeing that my computer is trying to run new games with a i5-3330. So I'm looking for a better CPU. I know that it would have to be an older CPU in order to be compatible with the motherboard in my 6+ year old machine, and I am ok with that. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for a older CPU, that will run better than mine, that I could possibly find on ebay or Amazon?

The only upgrade that makes sense, or is possible, would be either an i7-3770 or 3770k, IF that board supports it. Not all OEM boards supported all the available CPU models within a given chipset like the aftermarket motherboards generally do. Knowing the EXACT model of the Inspiron 660 (Sub model or express service tag number would be helpful here) OR the exact motherboard model (Should be printed on the motherboard along the top edge or down the center of the board) would be helpful in finding out what CPU models would be supported on that board AND BIOS firmware revision.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...-3330-at-3-0-GHz-to-I7-3770-at-3/td-p/4329952

Amongst all the right out "NO's! i7's not supported" comments or "Damage Vrms" without any proper explanation as to why, someone contacted Dell and their response was i7's weren't tested. i5 3330 being a 77w processor and an i7 3770 is also 77w.

Might be fine but still a risk. Could regulate an i7s turbo to something like 90% through Windows power plans if wanted to if that's what Dell is worried about if the i7 took too much power when it gets going stressing the motherboard vrms.

The best upgrade would be a new platform.

i7-3770 on Ebay goes for about 80-100 bucks unless you want to take your chances with a VERY shady seller or a questionable condition CPU.

I think given the "bones" of your platform, putting that money into a newer platform even if it means having to save for a while would be a much wiser idea.

You could get into a Ryzen 5, B450 board and 16GB of DDR4 for about 300 bucks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i agree, a newer system, a Ryzen build would be ideal but they'd have to think about a new case/power supply and Windows 10 licence.

Building your own system isn't all that hard to do and there are plenty of guides and people around to help.