[SOLVED] CPU upgradge question

George3356

Reputable
Nov 18, 2016
Hey guys,

I recently bought a GTX 1070 Ti so I can play most games on ultra, but my CPU is i5 4460 - and I think it is a bit of a bottleneck so I am considering an upgrade.

I asked a question about that here in the forum some time ago. I don't want to invest heavily into the upgrade (new CPU and MB would mean something around 400USD) and some people recommended I should go for an i7 4770 as that would mean I wouldn't have to change the motherboard as well (approx. 100 USD ontop investment).

My questions are:
  1. Do You guys think it is still a reasonable upgrade? Will I notice the difference?
  2. The i7 4770 is usually sold used by people at around 160 USD. Then there is sometimes also the i7 4770 S version at around 120 USD. My questions is - should I go for the S version or will I regret the 40 USD saving? I read it has lower power consumption and lower speeds, but I don't know if it is significantly less?
  3. Should I forget the i7 option and rather go for a completely new CPU and MB? Will I get a significantly better performance and a rig I won't have to upgrade for some time again?

Thank You very much for any opinions :)
George

Solution
I'm going, to be honest, I believe you should invest the money to upgrade to a Ryzen 1st gen CPU yes Intel is better for gaming but Intel prices never go down Ryzen prices do and they have quite good performance yes you'd need to upgrade your motherboard BUT you can get a cheap good B450 motherboard also you will need new RAM but the upgrade should be worth it.

Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
DDR4 RAM
I'm going, to be honest, I believe you should invest the money to upgrade to a Ryzen 1st gen CPU yes Intel is better for gaming but Intel prices never go down Ryzen prices do and they have quite good performance yes you'd need to upgrade your motherboard BUT you can get a cheap good B450 motherboard also you will need new RAM but the upgrade should be worth it.

Ryzen 1600X
Motherboard
DDR4 RAM

Solution
You're indeed in a tough time. As someone who has an i7 4790, it still a really good cpu, ofcourse newer cpus like ryzen 3600 or i5 9400f are better, but if you're running a gtx 1070(ti) like I have aswell then it still fine.

What games do you play? That might give us a better look at what you should do.

You're indeed in a tough time. As someone who has an i7 4790, it still a really good cpu, ofcourse newer cpus like ryzen 3600 or i5 9400f are better, but if you're running a gtx 1070(ti) like I have aswell then it still fine.

What games do you play? That might give us a better look at what you should do.
Well, one issue is quad cores are starting to bottleneck in newer games even a first-gen Ryzen will do him well.

Well, one issue is quad cores are starting to bottleneck in newer games even a first-gen Ryzen will do him well.

Correct, most new games can really push 4c/8th cpus. if he plays older games then it can be fine.

Although a ryzen 1600 can really fall behind the newer ryzen 2600/3600 cpus. But the ryzen 1600 is really cheap and he can upgrade to a better ryzen processor later on.

Correct, most new games can really push 4c/8th cpus. if he plays older games then it can be fine.

Although a ryzen 1600 can really fall behind the newer ryzen 2600/3600 cpus. But the ryzen 1600 is really cheap and he can upgrade to a better ryzen processor later on.
Yes that's why I chose it (well a 1600X bc I could only find the 1600 used not sure if he wants a used or new CPU) once Gen 4 comes out he can probably find great deals on all the 3000 series it's far away but we know it will happen good to plan ahead in my opinion!

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
from what i can see a strong quadcore still works good even if more threads can be used its not a requirement to run the game good. Nobody can be sure about this but some still thinks it will take 5-10 years before 8 cores is the minimum.
im not saying its wrong to upgrade to ryzen but considering he wants to spend about 160 for i5 he will have to spend a lot more to upgrade to ryzen.

Last edited:

Kastytis

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is already using 12 threads (and it was released almost a year ago) so if he plans on playing new release games then going for a Ryzen CPU would be better since it probably won't take 5 years for games to start utilizing 6 cores 12 threads as the norm. Other reason why it might be better for him to go for Ryzen instead of the i7 is the platform compatibility. If you get Ryzen 5 1600 on a good mobo you can just switch it to 3rd or even the 4th Gen Ryzen later in the future but upgrading from a i7-4770 to a i7-4790 would not make much sense as it wouldn't yield any significant improvement. It all depends on how much money the user has and/or is willing to spend right now on this upgrade.

Last edited: