[SOLVED] CPU usage 100% on most games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2020
My PC has started to hit major bottleneck issues lately, for almost all games i'm running far less frames then i should and my CPU usage is maxing while the GPU usage is at around 20%. I know with my graphics card there will be bottle necking, but my rig should easily be able to run CSGO at over 120 frames and i cant right now. Any help would be appreciated. I also just updated my graphics and motherboard drivers so that is not the issue.

PC SPECS
GPU - RTX 2080 Ti
CPU - i9 9900k
Ram - 32 GB 3200 ddr4
Motherboard - Gigabyte z390 Aorus pro

Feb 16, 2020
Agreed. Just trying to work through the issue. I am baffled.
Yeah I've been trying to figure this out for like a week now. Don't understand what it is, so I've done some digging and found that some people with at least somewhat similar circumstances just did a clean reinstall of windows and it worked for them. Might as well give it try, just kinda wanted to do it as a last resort. Let you know how it goes once its finally done. Thanks for the help so far though.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yeah I've been trying to figure this out for like a week now. Don't understand what it is, so I've done some digging and found that some people with at least somewhat similar circumstances just did a clean reinstall of windows and it worked for them. Might as well give it try, just kinda wanted to do it as a last resort. Let you know how it goes once its finally done. Thanks for the help so far though.
You are welcome. I asked the other mods for any ideas. They'll pop in if they do.

Feb 16, 2020
Okay so after reinstalling windows and downloading and testing, the problem has fixed itself. Literally no idea what it was cause I feel I tried everything.

Thank you to anyone that helped me out or at least tried to in fixing my pc.

Reactions: saulsilver82
Feb 20, 2020
Hi, i am currently experiencing your same problem, my pc is less performing than your, i have an i5 8th, rtx2060, 16 gb. since little more than a week in the games where I was going at about 200/240 fps now they do not exceed 60/80 and the CPU usage is around 95% / 100%. I wanted to avoid reinstalling windows. how can i try to solve?

Feb 20, 2020
it can be the cooling if you have stock or other cheap cooling that can be throttling the CPU
also you need to replace your watercooler every five years so that can be the problem as well
you can also replace the thermal paste and try to overclock if you have great temperatures. if that still doesn't help try to fully reset your pc because maybe it's filled with programs running in the background