[SOLVED] CPU usage at 100 percent on most games

Oct 29, 2020
Hello,

I really need help. My processor runs at 100 percent usage in most relatively new games I play, for example NFS Payback or Far Cry 5, as a result I experience stuttering, frame drops and low framerates. Most of the time, my GPU is running at 30-50 percent usage.
I have no idea, what is the problem. I did a clean install of Windows 10, which obviously did not resolve the issue. Also in most cases, reducing graphical settings does not help, CPU usage stays the same and stuttering persists.

My PC specifications:
CPU: Intel Core i5 7500
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S/D3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2X4 GB 1600 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
Storage: Windows 10 is running on Transcend SSD220S and I store games in ADATA SU800 SSD

Thank you in advance

Solution
Also in most cases, reducing graphical settings does not help,

Reducing GPU settings should increase framerate, putting more strain on the CPU.

A quad core i5 could struggle in some titles, but NFS Payback and Far Cry 5 should be ok with a quad core.
What else is running in the background? You're not loading up a browser, or running Windows Update etc, in addition to running the game, are you?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Also in most cases, reducing graphical settings does not help,

Reducing GPU settings should increase framerate, putting more strain on the CPU.

A quad core i5 could struggle in some titles, but NFS Payback and Far Cry 5 should be ok with a quad core.
What else is running in the background? You're not loading up a browser, or running Windows Update etc, in addition to running the game, are you?

Solution
Oct 29, 2020

I am not really running anything, I try to keep it minimal, browser is not running, only what 's running is game launcher and MSI Afterburner