[SOLVED] CPU usage drops low in games

May 22, 2020
Hello, as in title. My specs:
CPU: i5-7400 (boosted to 3.5ghz in BIOS)
GPU: GT-730 2GB
4 GB DDR3 RAM

I tried playing GTA V, when i drive a car it stutters really hard, and then CPU usage drops to 20-30% and while it drops i have single frames, in which my GPU usage drops to 0%. As I saw on benchmarks my rig should run the game without any lags, runs fine on 720p medium high (60+fps). And yes, it does if I don't move too far to render any more map fragments. Anyone had this problem? or someone knows how to fix?
Also, it not only goes in GTA V. I experienced this in Apex Legends, and a little bit of lags in Watch Dogs.
To anyone who replies, thanks.

Edit: I just saw a similiar post to mine, and someone said that low amount of ram with low 'ram speed' is bottlenecking cpu that causes it to stutter, or something like that. Is that true? If yes, is it worth upgrading now? Because I'm planning to change everything in my pc besides the CPU, but that will happen in 2-3 months maybe.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for help, I was actually considering buying RX 570, as I saw the bottleneck calculator results and recommends for upgrades, it said 1050ti is best match for this cpu, but I was considering GTX 1660, do you think it would be good or the CPU is too weak for this graphics card?

For your question on the GTX 1660, I guess it all depend on the game. I use to have a GTX 1060 6GB + Core i5 3570. In some games I could really see how the Core i5 was the weak link of the chain, and a better CPU was need it to get the GPU full potential.

You can always swap GPU now, and then save some more money and get either a new CPU + Motherboard + RAM combo, or a budget (if lucky) Core i7 7700 which will be a very good upgrade and will be...
I mean, I've watched some benchmarks and games did not seem so laggy as they run for me. I'm looking for a 'fix' for a week now, and nothing seems to help.

How new were those benchamrks you saw?

Rockstar have launched lots of patches over the years and some of them do take a hit in game performance, not huge but they do.

Every task you can do with a PC, working, gaming, content creation, etc, can take advantage of RAM in dual channel, if you only have 1 Stick of 4GB, your loosing performance there. Also as it was mention a GT-730 with only 2GB of RAM is really on the really very low end of what you will want for GTA V.

In short, and as bignastyid already wrote, nothing that a more powerfull GPU and 2x4GB of identical sticks (to take advantage of the free dual channel boost) can fix. Lucky you "a more powerull GPU" is very easy to fix without spending a lot of cash, considering your starting point I mean (GT 730), this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8fx9TW/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gv-n105td5-4gd for example will be a huge update, or you can try to see if you can get a used GT 750ti or even better (if your power supply is powerfull enough) an RX 570.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 22, 2020
How new where those benchamrks you saw?

Rockstar have launched lots of patches over the years and some of them do take a hit in game performance, not huge but they do.

Every task you can do with a PC, working, gaming, content creation, etc, can take advantage of RAM in dual channel, if you only have 1 Stick of 4GB, your loosing performance there. Also as it was mention a GT-730 with only 2GB of RAM is really on the really very low end of what you will want for GTA V.

In short, and as bignastyid already wrote, nothing that a more powerfull GPU and 2x4GB of identical sticks (to take advantage of the free dual channel boost) can fix. Lucky you "a more powerull GPU" is very easy to fix without spending a lot of cash, considering your starting point I mean (GT 730), this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8fx9TW/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gv-n105td5-4gd for example will be a huge update, or you can try to see if you can get a used GT 750ti or even better (if your power supply is powerfull enough) an RX 570.

Cheers!
Thanks for help, I was actually considering buying RX 570, as I saw the bottleneck calculator results and recommends for upgrades, it said 1050ti is best match for this cpu, but I was considering GTX 1660, do you think it would be good or the CPU is too weak for this graphics card?

For your question on the GTX 1660, I guess it all depend on the game. I use to have a GTX 1060 6GB + Core i5 3570. In some games I could really see how the Core i5 was the weak link of the chain, and a better CPU was need it to get the GPU full potential.

You can always swap GPU now, and then save some more money and get either a new CPU + Motherboard + RAM combo, or a budget (if lucky) Core i7 7700 which will be a very good upgrade and will be able to drive your GTX 1660 without issues.

Other options are the GTX 1650 Super / GTX 1660 Super.

Also keep in mind that the RX 570 comes with either 4GB or 8GB of VRAM, the GTX 1650 comes with 4GB, while the GTX 1660 comes with 6GB. So if I had to choose, I woudl probably pick the GTX 1660 (or hte GTX 1660 Super which is usually just a few buck more).

Always look for cards with atleast 4GB, and make sure its atleast GDDR5, but I would aim for GDDR6 if posible.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan

Bottleneck calculators are worthless. Either of those cards are a massive step up from a GT 730. Just make your Power supply is going to handle it or you could be left with a fried system.

You are also going to need to upgrade the ram to atleast 8Gb, even with a GPU upgrade GTA V will still be a stuttering mess with only 4Gb.

Bottleneck calculators are worthless. Either of those cards are a massive step up from a GT 730. Just make your Power supply is going to handle it or you could be left with a fried system.

You are also going to need to upgrade the ram to atleast 8Gb, even with a GPU upgrade GTA V will still be a stuttering mess with only 4Gb.

Thats right, RAM is also important, I didnt mention the RAM again, because already explain what OP should do about RAM on my first post :)