Question CPU usage spike and laggy chrome

Waynelu1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
For the past few weeks, my typing would become super delayed when I'm browsing Amazon and some other select websites. This happens even with minimal tabs open. When this happens my CPU load spikes up. I have no issues with any of my hardware for anything else. What could be the cause of this, and are there any fixes?

View: https://imgur.com/a/jfhKOkI

My build

i7 9700k
16 GB 3200hz DDR4 RAM
RTX 2080

I'd first have a sustained (3-5 minutes) glance at HWMonitor over the course of several minutes, beginning at just after bootup. Do you see the CPU's core clock speeds going as high as 4.6-4.9 GHz, fluctuating down to as low as 800-1500 MHz when loafing at the desktop, but, spiking to 3500-4000 MHz when opening a doc or application? (That would be 'normal' behavior in Balanced Power Plan on most decent mainboards without MCE enabled, assuming you have all appropriate 300 series chipset drivers installed)

With your browser closed, what level of CPU activity is shown in task manager/processes? (Ideally, with no browser open, no AV scan, cloud storage file sync, or Windows update being downloaded, the CPU will try to loaf around at 800-1000 MHz until you do something, but should instantly upclock under load; sometimes an errant WIndows update botches normal behavior)

I'd also run a quick Malwarebytes Antimalware scan, and, a portable Roguekiller64 scan as well...

Waynelu1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
I'd first have a sustained (3-5 minutes) glance at HWMonitor over the course of several minutes, beginning at just after bootup. Do you see the CPU's core clock speeds going as high as 4.6-4.9 GHz, fluctuating down to as low as 800-1500 MHz when loafing at the desktop, but, spiking to 3500-4000 MHz when opening a doc or application? (That would be 'normal' behavior in Balanced Power Plan on most decent mainboards without MCE enabled, assuming you have all appropriate 300 series chipset drivers installed)

With your browser closed, what level of CPU activity is shown in task manager/processes? (Ideally, with no browser open, no AV scan, cloud storage file sync, or Windows update being downloaded, the CPU will try to loaf around at 800-1000 MHz until you do something, but should instantly upclock under load; sometimes an errant WIndows update botches normal behavior)

I'd also run a quick Malwarebytes Antimalware scan, and, a portable Roguekiller64 scan as well...

My CPU always runs at a consistent 4600MHz, and I just ran both of the programs. Nothing found.

I'd reset your mainboard's BIOS to factory defaults, then select desired XMP profile for RAM speed (3200 MHz), then reinstall your chipset drivers for your mainboard. (as you did not mention the mainboard, I could not include a link to them)

Normal behavior in Balanced Power plan would not have the CPU at a constant 4600 MHz except for when under load, although that alone should not cause sluggish mouse behavior, as a system should be quite responsive even fluctuating normally between 800 - 4900 MHz. (I've only seen that sort of behavior you describe during very stressful CPU tests...)

What does your task manager/processes show as percentage of CPU usage when browser tabs are not open?

Are you perhaps using a VPN for surfing? Is this sluggish behavior seen with other browsers such as Edge?

If some sort of malware were picked up, or, if the OS and/or browser were glitched, certainly a classic 'delete partitions/quick format/reinstall (to include OS , all updates, drivers and all apps should cure it.

Waynelu1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
I'd reset your mainboard's BIOS to factory defaults, then select desired XMP profile for RAM speed (3200 MHz), then reinstall your chipset drivers for your mainboard. (as you did not mention the mainboard, I could not include a link to them)

Normal behavior in Balanced Power plan would not have the CPU at a constant 4600 MHz except for when under load, although that alone should not cause sluggish mouse behavior, as a system should be quite responsive even fluctuating normally between 800 - 4900 MHz. (I've only seen that sort of behavior you describe during very stressful CPU tests...)

What does your task manager/processes show as percentage of CPU usage when browser tabs are not open?

Are you perhaps using a VPN for surfing? Is this sluggish behavior seen with other browsers such as Edge?

If some sort of malware were picked up, or, if the OS and/or browser were glitched, certainly a classic 'delete partitions/quick format/reinstall (to include OS , all updates, drivers and all apps should cure it.

Here is my CPU usage upon opening the task manager and letting it process for a little while. View: https://imgur.com/a/r7mPPRW

It seems to be a Chrome issue. I opened up 8 tabs in edge and typed into Amazon without any sluggishness. Since it seems to be a chrome issue would you still recommend everything you said, or is there a different approach?