CPU wants to explode. Help!

Galarbas

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
A humorous title for fun. Anyway, thought maybe someone could help me with my issue with my cpu fan.

Here's what happened:

One day I thought it wise to remount the CPU cooler. I was running a few degrees above normal, so I gently removed thermal paste and remounted the heatsink onto the CPU with thermal paste. The computer boots up and all is well.I run 31-33 c, still hotter than my normal temp, but oh well, I think.

Later I open up the computer for wire management. I dust with canned air and boot up to bios to monitor the temp. All is well, but always notice rpms on my CPU fan are in 600's. I put a setting for CPU fan to turbo, just to see what'll happen. Mistake. Once booting into windows, the CPU fan revs up crazy and gets louder and louder as though going to explode. I quickly shut off.

Fast forward again, I boot to bios ( fan is fine in bios, temp is 35 though) and change motherboard CPU fan speed from 'Turbo' to normal. Restart. Try to boot to windows, same result. Fan is fine in bios screen but when booting to windows there is an issue and that CPU fan simply wants to rev up and explode. Nothing obstructing CPU fan and heatsink is mounted nicely with not too much or too little thermal paste. Motherboard fan speed is still 'normal.'

Should I remount? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nat

Solution
It should help you. If you already have the fan setting in your computer health/monitoring section of the BIOS set to silent or standard, then the AI Suite by Asus will just continue that setting into Windows once you configure it to do so.

The link to the motherboard support page:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/#support

You want to look under the 'Drivers and Tools' section then go to 'Utilities' and then the second entry that comes up should be AI Suite III.

Once installed, enter the AI Suite III and go to fan controls. In that section there should be calibrate options along with presets for Silent, Standard and Turbo.
If your bios is showing your CPU temperatures are ok, you can try downloading a program to monitor the temperatures in your OS as well.

I use this program:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

It keeps good track of minimum, maximum and current temperatures per-core.

What computer make and model or motherboard make and model do you have? I can send you a bit more tailored information.

Galarbas

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
It's a hand built computer. I believe it's a Z87-Plus Asus Motherboard ( I believe, I'm not home to confirm as I didn't remember exact model ) but I'm pretty sure it's what it is. I just want to be able to safely boot in and stop the crazy sounding CPU fan. Would this program do that?

It should help you. If you already have the fan setting in your computer health/monitoring section of the BIOS set to silent or standard, then the AI Suite by Asus will just continue that setting into Windows once you configure it to do so.

The link to the motherboard support page:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/#support

You want to look under the 'Drivers and Tools' section then go to 'Utilities' and then the second entry that comes up should be AI Suite III.

Once installed, enter the AI Suite III and go to fan controls. In that section there should be calibrate options along with presets for Silent, Standard and Turbo.

Solution