CPU with ECC memory support + Kingston non-ECC dram

Noobbox

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

I am new to this forum :). I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Recently I upgraded my PC. I decided to build another PC for a friend of mine, since I had a lot of spare parts. I've used the following parts :
-MOBO: P8Z68-V
-Graphics card: Sapphire 5850 HD
-RAM:Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/8G (2x 4GB, 1333Mhz)
-PSU: OCZ 600W

Since it needed a CPU, I decided to buy a i3 3250.

I've put everything together, but it doesn't work. The Mobo's Memok-LED gives a solid red light and I'm not getting any video output.

When I power up the MOBO, everything turns on and the MOBO initiates its check-list. When the MemOK-LED/CPU-LED starts to blink, the machine automatically restarts itself. After the restart the machine restarts the check-list. It stops doing something (but remains on) when the MemOK LED is giving a solid red light.

I've seen people with similar cases, but their solutions don't work for me. A few things I've tried are:
-I've pressed the MemOK button, but the machine just restarts and continues to give a solid red light, after giving a few blinks.
-I've tried to reset the CMOS, but it didn't do anything.
-I've tried to use one ram stick, sticking it in the second slot.
-I've tried to use another ram stick (Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R 2x8GB 1600Mhz)

I think the new CPU (i3 3250) is causing the problem. This is due to the following:
I've used the MOBO (P8z68-V) with the same RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/8G) and another CPU (i5 2500k) in my old rig. This worked perfectly. This means that the RAM and the MOBO were compatible.

My MOBO is non-ECC and so was the CPU (i5 2500k) and the RAM (Kingston).
The new CPU (i3 3250) has Ecc-Support. See link:
(http://ark.intel.com/products/74744/Intel-Core-i3-3250-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz)

My question is:" Is a ECC-supported CPU compatible with a non-ECC RAM?"
My second question is:"Does anyone know a sollution for my problem?(If I have to buy/replace a component, what component would you advise to replace/buy)"

I'm really down, so some help would be great!

Thank you it worked :D

pauls3743

Distinguished
Yeah, the Z68 is sandy bridge, the i3-3250 is ivy bridge. A lot of the sandy bridge motherboards need the bios updated before they will support ivy bridge processors. Just swap your i5-2500k back into the board, update the bios and swap the i3 back into it and it should work just fine.