[SOLVED] CPU_Fan Header No longer working?

Sep 7, 2020
Hoping someone can help me here. CPU Fan is no longer working. Sometimes it will begin spinning on startup and then stop after a few seconds. If I switch the lead from the CPU_Fan header to the CPU_Opt header. Fan continues to work normally. However, now BIOS thinks I am running without a CPU fan. So I guess I have two questions:

1. Does the fan running on the alternate header eliminate the Fan as my issue? Therefore making it a power issue with my motherboard?
  2. Can I change a setting in BIOS to recognize the CPU Fan running on the CPU_Opt header? Is this ill advised?

Here are the specs of my build:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x with its stock AMD Wraith Prism Heatsink/Fan
Asus x570 plus motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
2x 16gb G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZNC DDR4

Any insight is appreciated. I'm newer to PC Builds. Had this setup running for 4/5 months without any issue until this....

Solution
Hi Thepolishcamera.

Nice system there.

There is nothing bad running your CPU fan in the CPU_Opt. I do it too with one of the fan on the CPU (I have 2 fan on the cooler) and instead of just using a splitter I used both header CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.

You can remove the CPU alert fan in the BIOS. it removes the alert and that's it. Look for a CPU FAN SPEED alert and set it to Ignore.

What is your PSU? But yes. It could be the board CPU_FAN header. I doubt your PSU would be incapable of just providing power to only 1 header on your board if that header was working ok.
Hi Thepolishcamera.

Nice system there.

There is nothing bad running your CPU fan in the CPU_Opt. I do it too with one of the fan on the CPU (I have 2 fan on the cooler) and instead of just using a splitter I used both header CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.

You can remove the CPU alert fan in the BIOS. it removes the alert and that's it. Look for a CPU FAN SPEED alert and set it to Ignore.

What is your PSU? But yes. It could be the board CPU_FAN header. I doubt your PSU would be incapable of just providing power to only 1 header on your board if that header was working ok.

Solution
Sep 7, 2020
The PSU is a Corsair RM650x 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power supply.

Is there any sort of fail safe that may be deactivated by removing the CPU Fan Alert?

Hi Thepolishcamera.

Nice system there.