Question CPUid showing fluctuating CAS latency with 8GB+4GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2019
Please see the screenshots. Is this normal/okay? 😕 Maybe it's some sort of speedstep type tech? IDK

J25XHBK.jpg
xTwKYSf.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Update to this... I tried both slots with the original 4GB RAM only and with the 8GB only as well and the same thing happens.... Is this normal at all?

I've run Windows default RAM test and Prime95 for an hour and had no errors came up....

That is an unsupported configuration. You are free to do your own testing as there are no specifications for such a combination.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to work together or as to how they will work if the system boots up.

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee for compatibility if used in multiples. This also includes exact match, same thing, identical.

Reactions: redtailboas
Jun 26, 2019
Sorry if I wasn't clear. This switching is shown by CPU-Z happening automatically, while I'm using the laptop, whether the RAM together or single, and tested both slots. I'm not making any manual changes (impossible with this laptop to manually set)

Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for your answer @gskill support , But this is going from 1064Mhz down to 665Mhz ....With latency changes as well according to CPU-Z ... Though HWinfo64 shows only the frequency change 1064Mhz to 665Mhz. Latency stays the same in that app.

Can you confirm this is probably normal (eg, no hardware fault) Perhaps just some strange quirk?

Appreciate any ideas. I got this laptop secondhand and it's in otherwise beautiful/perfect condition. I don't want to make some problem with the seller if this is likely just some quirk.

Last edited:
Yes, it is normal, frequencies are not perfectly fixed, they do fluctuate with CPU changes. Also, not all numbers are whole, so it can be even more sensitive to slight changes.

HUH?????

No, your CAS latency should NOT fluctuate on the fly while using the machine. It should be set and static anytime you are beyond the POST process, whether that means in the BIOS, in a pre- and non-windows environment or in Windows. It should not ever change once you are past the memory training process and if you have set the XMP profile or manually configured the timings it should not ever change AT ALL, period, unless there is a problem and the motherboard has automatically changed the timing to correct a compatibility issue.

At least, I've never heard of such a thing happening.

I'd download HWinfo

And scroll to the memory section. Look at the timings listed there and see if they are fluctuating in HWinfo as well. This may be a problem with CPU-Z, and not the actual memory.

w1v321.jpg

Jun 26, 2019
When you say fluctuating, do you mean if you keep CPU-Z open it'll flip between the two as you watch? Or one time when you launch CPU-Z it may show one, and the next time you launch in the other?

I'd make sure your BIOS is up to date.
I mean, they flip as I watch in CPU-Z, in coordination with FSB/RAM and CAS etc... HWinfo64 doesn't show CAS changing, just MHz, same numbers as CPU-Z.

The BIOS is the most recent.

Not sure what to do here. I want to believe it's just some strange compatibility quirk with the software. What are the alternatives?

Last edited:
Remove the 4GB stick and see if it still does it. If it does, remove the other stick and replace it with the first stick, and see if it still does it.

If yes, try both sticks, separately, one at a time, in the OTHER DIMM slot and see if it does it with either stick regardless of which slot it is installed in.

If it does, switch the slots you have them currently installed in and with both sticks reinstalled, see if it still does it.

Jun 26, 2019
Remove the 4GB stick and see if it still does it. If it does, remove the other stick and replace it with the first stick, and see if it still does it.

If yes, try both sticks, separately, one at a time, in the OTHER DIMM slot and see if it does it with either stick regardless of which slot it is installed in.

If it does, switch the slots you have them currently installed in and with both sticks reinstalled, see if it still does it.
Yes, I've done this. Tried swapping them and using one at a time in different slots. Same result.

I've also tested in HWinfo64 and unfortunately the same result, with CAS and everything else changing between 665 and 1064... Damn.

Jun 26, 2019
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Dell has a "Reset BIOS to factory settings" (didn't have to remove CMOS bat).....and...appears to have worked! I've been staring at it for a few minutes and not changing!!! (it was changing every few seconds before, regularly...)....

I really think fixed.,..

You have no idea how much headache and stress you just saved me. I live in Thailand and received this through the mail. There's an excellent 2nd hand electronics / computer forum called overclockzone for Thai people and it's very much trust and reputation based... Very few foreigners on there...and didn't want to look like some goofball foreigner whining about something the Thai would never even have checked (what, you're still alive, why you complain?) It's a very "nevermind", don't be so serious type lifestyle...On top of language barriers... Ugh...

And I would have never thought to try to load BIOS defaults... Never.

Thanks dude. This whole time writing this still no change, so fairly sure fixed.

Oct 13, 2019
Hello there sirs
The same issue is prevailing in mine .x556U dm069d series ddr4 2133mhz micron(soldered) with cl 15,
I upgraded with 2400mhz Kingston 8gb cl 14 .
Everything is working system boots up nicely but I have observed a little cpu utilization fluctuations And spikes in graphs of xtu .
My laptop is also unmodifiable for any overcloçking .
The cpuid shows fluctuation of cl9 and cl15.
Same with hwinfo
The frequency too has been changing from 1063 to 6xx .
Tried updating bios .and also factory resetting the bios .
Nothing happened .
The clocks still shift .
Tried gaming but no noticable effect in speed .
Benchmark is shifting Everytime I do .
At once it was 380 after bios reset 432 and latest is 460 .
No idea what is happening .
I got 4 days before I can't return the ram to seller .
Any help is IMMENSELY appreciated .
Will post pictures of benches and clocks shifting along with a video asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS