CPU's clock speed keeps changing on reboot.

May 10, 2018
This is very noob question as I am no PC pro, I am just a gamer who moves around the continent a lot, try to keep up with me please. So the thing is, I bought gaming laptop about 2 or 3 years ago (laptop because as said, I move around a lot). It was already overclocked when I bought it and I only learned about it recently as I was trying to figure out why my game has so many issues and my laptop keeps heating like crazy. It was overclocked from 2.6 to 3.6 and the cooling just cant handle it very well like that. I was reaching 98 degrees celsius when gaming (having nothing but the game itself running with a cooling pad under) and mainly, since it was overheating so much, my PC performance was really REALLY bad. So what I did, I changed the clock speed back to 2.6 in Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility program. The issue is with this, it does not apply permanently. Once I boot the laptop again its back set to what it was. And its quite annoying having to change it every day again (even with saved profiles). Anyone know and could guide me through how can I permanently (so it dont change with reboot) set the clock to 2.6?
Thanks for any help!

Solution
complete model number of your laptop if possible.
It's windows power scheme configuration, can you check and / or screen-shot it coupled side by side with CPUz while plugged in and not?
How to Use Maximum CPU Power in Windows 10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10
gAGnmM1.jpg

If the Processor power management is not accessible on your system try this fix:
The limited power configuration in Advanced Settings because of Connected Standby feature enabled by default on surface pro and other tablets, it needs to be disabled at registry level in order to recover ability to create custom plans and get access to more advanced power settings:
- Go to start
- type...
May 10, 2018

Well as I mentioned in my post, I am PC noob so I dont know what half the word you said means, have no idea how to reset BIOS and I could continue. The amount of terms I used in my post is about as much as I know about CPU and anything about PC really.

R0GG

Distinguished
- You should have an option in the bios to disable automatic manufacturer enhanced turbo and disable any other overclock.
- If you have a gaming laptop you should also have access to some of those options through manufacturer specific app (like Asus or MSI) tuning utility (which probably loads automatically with windows and resets CPU clocks or an overclock to it's favor)
- Besides that you can choose to run your laptop on a more energy conservative power scheme: balanced power scheme instead of high performance, or even within the high performance one adjust minimum and maximum CPU clocks to suit your actual use ( there is a work around for missing detailed CPU power management in windows 10 options).
What is your laptop brand and model please?

There is a lithium coin battery on the motherboard itself. It maintains the BIOS settings when the power is off. If it has begun to fail, the BIOS settings (including your overclock) can be lost when the power is off.

May 10, 2018

If I understand well from what my bf could already help me with, he was looking into BIOS and there is no way of changing anything in them.
To the second point, I have absolutely no idea, as I said, I am noob with PC probably just tiny bit better than anyones grandma/grandpa, heh. So far any program for changing/seing any info, I had to download.
My laptop is Acer Aspire V Nitro, and thats probably as much as I can say as I have no idea for the rest. I have windows 8. The person who was getting the PC ready for me before I got it home made many changes to it and I am afraid he screwed up... All updates were disabled, there was no Nvidia GeForce Experiance installed, I had to install that myself also. The Nvidia control panel is missing many options that it should have, then the BIOS thing that there is no way to change literally anything in it. Even tho I have windows 8 the guy made it to look like windows 7 to make it more "likable". Etc...

We already tried all the other things you suggested. My CPU usage is set to be at 99% max right now, but the issue is the clock each time returns to what it was overclocked to and I have to each time manualy set in mentioned Intel program back to 2.6 each time my PC boots. And there is no way for me to save the settings permanently that I know of.

May 10, 2018

Okey... but I was not personaly ever changing anything in the BIOS as its not possible. All options that should normaly be present are not there.

On some of the motherboards there is a feature (with the I7-8700K for example) where if you use the memory XMP the motherboard will automatically overclock the system. In the case of the I7-8700K that is 4.7 GHZ on all 6 cores.

But I don't think that is what is happening in your case. Your laptop isn't maintaining your CPU settings.

R0GG

Distinguished
complete model number of your laptop if possible.
It's windows power scheme configuration, can you check and / or screen-shot it coupled side by side with CPUz while plugged in and not?
How to Use Maximum CPU Power in Windows 10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10
gAGnmM1.jpg

If the Processor power management is not accessible on your system try this fix:
The limited power configuration in Advanced Settings because of Connected Standby feature enabled by default on surface pro and other tablets, it needs to be disabled at registry level in order to recover ability to create custom plans and get access to more advanced power settings:
- Go to start
- type regedit and launch it
- Navigate to the entry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
- Double click on CsEnabled and change Value data from 1 to 0, and click OK
- Restart your computer.

Step by step tutorial available here (with other tips to maximize battery life and optimize performance of your tablet) Ultimate Tips to Max Out Microsoft Surface Battery Life > Paragraph 2. Surface Pro Optimization power plan >> https://surfacetip.com/ultimate-tips-max-surface-pro-4-battery-life/#2

Solution