Question Crashing,frezing,exit without error in all game

Oct 17, 2020
Hello
Two week ago i bought a brand new pc except cpu
Almost in all game i get black screen and some times error crashing and rarly restarting automatic
and i find out if i reduce clock minus 30 percent it will be a little bit stable at least can play

I am not insanely computer savvy but I do know a lot, I've had my brother who is very savvy even working on this issue. Here are all the things we have tried:
1 - Updating video drivers, we have tried several versions(including the one from this month and the "windows recommended" one among them) in case an earlier one would work better, we always did a clean install and removed previous versions. - no version made any change
2 - updated vbios - no change
3 - downloaded the asrocks tweaker and adjusted fan settings - no change
4 - updated main bios - no change 5 - updated chipset driver - no change
6 - updated MB driver - no change
7 - windows scan for system file damage - no change
8 - fixed and cleaned registry - no change
9 - re-seating both video card and ram - no change
10 - turning off all vsync type functions - no change
11 - taking the side wall off of my case - no change
12 - upgrading power supply to EVGA 750w with two seperate cable (was using a 600w) - no change
13 - switched out monitor to brand new one in case of some random compatibility problem - no change
14 - complete format and reinstall of entire system twice - no change These are just all the thing i can remember - I may have missed some.

MY rig
CPU R5 2600
RX 5700 XT Chanllenger oc 8gb
motherboard MSI Pro VDH MAX B450M
corsair 16gb 3200mhz
PSU 600w and 750w EVGA

Ralston18

Titan
What games are you playing?

Any problems when doing other things such as browsing, listening to music/watching videos? Light work such as typing papers, emails, etc.?

Is the new pc on a network? If so, how many other devices are on the network - do any of them have problems?

Is the new pc connected to a UPS, a surge protector, or power strip of some sort? Have you tried another wall outlet - especially one on another house circuit?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full? Have you run any manufacturer provided diagnostic software?

What specific errors do you get?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that occur while gaming especially any errors that precede a crash.

Reactions: Red alert313
Oct 17, 2020
What games are you playing?

Any problems when doing other things such as browsing, listening to music/watching videos? Light work such as typing papers, emails, etc.?

Is the new pc on a network? If so, how many other devices are on the network - do any of them have problems?

Is the new pc connected to a UPS, a surge protector, or power strip of some sort? Have you tried another wall outlet - especially one on another house circuit?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full? Have you run any manufacturer provided diagnostic software?

What specific errors do you get?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that occur while gaming especially any errors that precede a crash.
It's working fine while I'm surfing or watching the movie
Yes it's connected to router but with the cable or without the cable nothing changes
And I tried to connect directly to the wall circuit no change
I tested two different HDD and SSD no change
As I said all game like Fortnite(error application crashed),cod warzone (DX 6068), benchmark app like heaven (memory unreadable),mafia defin edition (just quit the game with out error)csgo,rocket ligue and a few other title without error just black screen and unresponding the I have to open task manager to force close
Sometimes it becomes black screen I can hear the sound but don't respond

And interesting point is with reducing the clocks about 30 percent every thing work even Cod warzone

Oct 17, 2020
This is something that many people with RX5700 are complaining about and nobody seems to have a solution for. I have it too with my RX470 but rolling back to 20.4.2 drivers seems to work so far.
But I think it is probably hardware issue as I said I did install almost all version of AMD driver but I saw a little improvement in last version by reducing the clocks

Oct 17, 2020
My sense is that the problem is power related but the only basis for that is the cited clocks reduction of 30%.

Per @Red alert313 roll back the drivers and determine if performance improves with respect to your system.

Keep an eye out for a new driver - a new driver may quietly fix some problem even if other improvements are listed.
Actually at first I thought it might be a power issue but when I bought a second power supply (750w bronze) the situation didn't change

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
It may be a power regulation problem and that is a problem of the card itself or the drivers and the power supply won't make any difference. Try using the driver version i mentioned and if it persists it's probably the card itself to be faulty.
One more thing you can try, is to go to the performance settings-tuning in the driver and increase the power limit. Maybe some faulty setting prevents the card from drawing the power it needs and it shuts down. In my card the default setting was such that the card did not draw enough power to spin the fans at more than 70% and it was running hot so when i set a custom fan curve i was getting stutters and crashes because to spin the fans it was taking power away form the GPU.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020
It may be a power regulation problem and that is a problem of the card itself or the drivers and the power supply won't make any difference. Try using the driver version i mentioned and if it persists it's probably the card itself to be faulty.
One more thing you can try, is to go to the performance settings-tuning in the driver and increase the power limit. Maybe some faulty setting prevents the card from drawing the power it needs and it shuts down. In my card the default setting was such that the card did not draw enough power to spin the fans at more than 70% and it was running hot so when i set a custom fan curve i was getting stutters and crashes because to spin the fans it was taking power away form the GPU.
I did what u said no change
i find out something else if i under clock 1800mhz and overvoltage to 1140 it will work
i dont know where is the problem
View: https://youtu.be/-ZCvD3CFZ-Y

and overvoltage
View: https://youtu.be/TIjiGppOSzE

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
The automatic power regulation is not working properly. The card needs power that your PSU can give but for some reason the card does not know how to take and you had to adjust it manually. If the temperature is not high and underclocking helps, then the problem is (99% of the time) not enough power.

Oct 17, 2020
The automatic power regulation is not working properly. The card needs power that your PSU can give but for some reason the card does not know how to take and you had to adjust it manually. If the temperature is not high and underclocking helps, then the problem is (99% of the time) not enough power.
I think i have to send it back to store