Question Crashing twice a day, than running smooth after switching RAM clock speed.

Jan 13, 2023
Hi@everybody,

ok since about a week I get the strangest crashes and I can not find out why.
Do you have any idea how I can find out what is not working and causing the crashes?
+ How to fix it?

The situation:
After updating nearly all drivers, windows 11 and preparing for the Cyberpunk launch I get in game crashes. Playing Cyberpunk or Rainbow Six Siege will result in a loss of signal for all displays. Audio is fine for around 30 seconds. Than the system is totally unresponsive or a automatic reboot is initalized, The graphic card is not very hot when the crash occures (70c)

After the reboot there is about a 50% chance that when booting Win11 I'll only see some graphic artifacts (some blue dots in the lower left corner of the screen). -> than I'll hit the power button and reboot again, I'll always get these artefacts after that till I proceed to the next step. The motherboard cycles so fast through error messages that I can not read them clearly.

After I can not boot I'll go into UEFI and switch the RAM clock speed from 6000 to default 4800 or visa versa . Save & quit and restart.

After that the system will reboot I can play Cyberpunk on with full raytracing and the graphic card at around 82c and everything is fine till the next shutdown. After the next shutdown the same sequence of crashes and reboots will happen.

The system:
- i5-13600K 3.50 GHz
- Z 690 Aurus Pro
- RTX 4070 Ti
- G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR5-6000 Kit
- Seasonic Prime TX-750
- Win11

was running absolutly stable since January.

Already done:
-
Googled (Graphic card crashes Cyberpunk, win11 crashes, system monitoring after crash ....)
- Checked this forum
- Reversed graphic driver installation (clean)
- Reverted to UEFI default settings.
- Troubleshooting, nothing found.
- Checked System logs: ("The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." -> most likely due to me pressing the power button for 5 seconds. Got a lot of nvlddmkm errors too, but not after every crash)
- Ran FurMark as a full load test (went fine, no crash)
- All Windows updates in queue
- checked windows minidump, found reboot entries but nothing I could interprete as cause of the crash Minidump file in Google Drive)
- flashing the newest version of UEFI
- disk check (chkdsk)

What I'm doing now:

- Done everything I could think of

My guess:
I feel it's a graphic card issue and it was caused by the newest patches (537.42) but reversing them did not help.
Also thought it might be a power problem, overloading the power supply, but it's a 750watt system and even under full load the crash is not caused consistently. Rainbow six Siege is definitly not using the full performence of the system.

I'm very thankfull for any ideas, system monitoring tools or anything else what could help finding the cause or fixing it! =)

edit: added PSU and corrected max power draw

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in service for a while, you should include the age of the unit. BIOS version for your motherboard? If you've verified that you've flashed the BIOS on the board to the latest version, then try clearing CMOS and then move forward with the OS while BIOS is set to UEFI.

Jan 13, 2023
Thanks for your reply, I added the PSU (Seasonic TX-750) and corrected the 1200 to the 750 watts.
My BIOS version is F23 if I remember correctly, but I'll flash it to the most recent version 27 tomorrow.

Jan 13, 2023
Update:
I'm cautiously optimistic right now. The QFlash to version F27 seems to have fixed the issue. I Have to verify it over the next two days. But if you find this post and you have crashes with a similar setup, flash your Bios to the newest version, even if the last update is only half a year old.

I'll edit the post in a few days if this was really the cause of the issue.

Jan 13, 2023
Update 2:
The problem still persists =(.

Anybody with an idea what it could be? I flashed the BIOS to the newest version, set everything to the default, but still the system crashes.

TRENDING THREADS