Question Crashing with no BSOD, Event 41

May 1, 2023
Hey everyone, first time poster here.

I'm currently having a mystifying issue. I've seen others with the same issue in the past, but at this point i'm not sure if it's software or hardware related.

I recently upgraded my platform from B550 5600x to X570 5900x. Ever since that change, i've had these hard crashes while gaming. The whole screen will go black, sometimes with some red fragmentation of whatever was on-screen, and windows will restart. It is such a fast restart that the fans don't stop spinning, nor does the RGB turn off. They were few and far between back then, but now are happening much more frequently.

The crashes appeared totally random at first. I thought it was just a couple of specific Unreal Engine games, but when it crashed while playing Diablo 2 Remaster, i knew something was horribly wrong. Event viewer gives me Event 41 Kernel Power(63) but as i've learned, that could be a few things.

Here is everything I've done to try and remedy the situation:

New Motherboard
XMP off and on
Memory Diagnostic
Reinstalled NVIDIA Drivers
Reinstalled Realtek Universal Audio Drivers
Reinstalled Windows 11
Updated to latest MB BIOS
Temps are totally fine, CPU idles around 37-40 degrees, same for GPU

Since the fresh windows install did absolutely nothing, i'm thinking it's a hardware issue. All of my components worked perfectly fine until the platform upgrade. My gut tells me to throw in the 5600x but i feel like if the CPU was the issue, we wouldn't even be posting.

Here is my current rig:

CPU- AMD 5900x
Motherboard - MSI X570 Max Wifi
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 10GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX , 2 16GB sticks, 3600mhz
PSU - Corsair RM850x

Maybe the PSU suffered some damage in a power surge and now can't handle the transient spikes from the 3080? But how would it crash playing diablo, which uses virtually no GPU power. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
May 1, 2023
I'm using the EKWB Nucleus 240mm AIO, full load the CPU stays in the 60s, the GPU tops out around 75C. They both idle between 35-40C

What GPU driver version are you using? Every driver version after 528.49 has been causing this exact problem. You can rule this out by using DDU to clear out the NVIDIA drivers, and downloading 528.49 from the NVIDIA driver page. Make sure to disable the automatic driver update nonsense in Windows, too, or it'll undo all your hard work.

May 1, 2023
So far, I think i may have solved it... I put the CPU into eco mode. I did notice it was always redlining out of the box -- pushing 4.6ghz. But now in eco mode it's like 4.45ghz, idles way cooler and i've been gaming heavily tonight with ZERO crashes. I saw a post on another forum somewhere that actually solved the issue, and they said the Ryzen 9s of the 5000 series sometimes need to be undervolted out of the box. It appears I DID NOT win the silicon lottery.

Will continue to monitor for the next while here.