Question CRAZY TEMPS AFTER INSTALLING AIO COOLER

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
I just installed a new AIO cooler and system was IDLE in bios for about 2 minutes and CPU idle temps were at 62 degrees. I then booted, and fans started going ape shit at like 2700 rpm. I opened CPU HW monitor right as i got in and IDLE temps were at 95 degrees!!!! I’ve had my PC for about two years and I had a hyper T2 before I installed this AIO (CM MasterLiquid 240L RGB), and my temps were rarely if ever above 55. I am very concerned as to WTF is going on. I installed it properly and everything I’m pretty sure and all the fans are spinning. To me it didn’t seem like the AIO was doing fu** all. I don’t know what I’m gonna do now.

Currently sulking in depression..

Edit: Pls help me.

Important information: I cleaned the old thermal paste off of the CPU like 20 minutes before mounting the new heatspreader. There were some difficulties mounting the cpu block but I got it on eventually and it was tight and smug. My front fans(where the radiator is) are intakesc and the rear fans are still intakes as well, i still have to change that but it wouldn’t explain a 90 degree temp. (I know i shouldn’t have both fans as intake, i don’t need input on that.).

View: http://imgur.com/ntDmTyX

Last edited:
You connected the fans, but is the pump running? I honestly have no advice, I'm afraid. Maybe all I can suggest is to mount the rad in the top of your case.

Are the fans on the rad intakes or exhausts? If they're preinstalled fans, I'm pretty sure they're now exhausting, which mess with the airflow big time. There was thermal paste applied to the cold plate of the CPU block?

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Did you sense and re-calibrate the fans in bios for the new cooler? Is the new AIO mounted tightly against the cpu? Worth double checking....and hopefully you didn't apply too much thermal compound. Just a pea size drop and smooth it around a little and tighten it down.

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
You connected the fans, but is the pump running? I honestly have no advice, I'm afraid. Maybe all I can suggest is to mount the rad in the top of your case.

Are the fans on the rad intakes or exhausts? If they're preinstalled fans, I'm pretty sure they're now exhausting, which mess with the airflow big time. There was thermal paste applied to the cold plate of the CPU block?

I’m not sure if the pump is running, Idk how to check that. But the pump cable is plugged into a port called CPU_OPT on the mobo. I can’t mount to the top as there is only one fan shroud there. I applied the thermal paste to the CPU and then put the heat sink onto the CPU.

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
Did you sense and re-calibrate the fans in bios for the new cooler? Is the new AIO mounted tightly against the cpu? Worth double checking....and hopefully you didn't apply too much thermal compound. Just a pea size drop and smooth it around a little and tighten it down.
I did not recalibrate anything. I’m 90 percent sure it is mounted tightly. The first time I built this PC I didn’t know much and put way too much. This time around I did my best to clean as much out as I could. I only put a Pea sized drop this time.

I'm pretty sure the UEFI should give some info on how many RPM the pump is running at on the CPU_OPT It's got a really distinctive sound, you could test it by recording on your phone, holding it literally 2-3 millimeters away. You should hear some kind of water flows, almost sounds like crackling. I would try taking it off again, making sure it's mounted correctly and putting the right amount of thermal paste on. Sure, it's not smart to put too much thermal paste, but if it's not electrical conductive, there's not really a "too much" thermal paste. Too much barely affects it (maybe 2-3 degrees), but too little can make it overheat really easily.

Again, make sure the fans are oriented correctly. I used to have my rad mounted at the front, and wasn't happy with the hoses being at the top. It seems to me like gravity can't force the water through to the coolant going to the CPU. You can try turning the whole rad around, as I've never tried that. I simply went back to mounting it at the top again..

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
All signs point to an incorrectly mounted CPU block. weather it's due to not being tightened down enough, poorly applied thermal paste or another reason.

Even if the fans were not oriented correctly, you wouldn't be getting 90+c temps. I believe the heat is not being transferred to the block.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
All signs point to an incorrectly mounted CPU block. weather it's due to not being tightened down enough, poorly applied thermal paste or another reason.

Even if the fans were not oriented correctly, you wouldn't be getting 90+c temps. I believe the heat is not being transferred to the block.
Agreed, jumping right up to 60c means no contact, or no water circulation.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
If and when you start over again with the cooling block, clean everything, apply new thermal paste, then as you tighten down the screws, do two diagonally apart from each other a little bit at a time, then tighten the other two that are diagonally across from each other a little bit , and keep repeating until they are all tightened down. If you tighten two down then the other two next, you can get board warping and poor contact to the cooling plate.

Reactions: jamesanyoung

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
OKAY, so I found the issue, the radiator block definitely is not tight on the cpu. But I can’t even twist the thumbscrews to make it tighter and there’s still like a centimetre of space. So I have no idea how to fix this one lol

Edit: I literally have no idea why there is space in between.. there shouldn’t be. none of the tutorials or the handbook shows this happening . I literally followed the three steps word for word.

Edit 2: Literally thinking about going into customer support right now..

Last edited:

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Are the "d" brackets installed correctly? If the "wings" are not facing up instead of down you would have too much space to tighten down on. See diagram 7 the bracket wings with the holes are bent up not down. And you used the "k" clips on the back plate? That would give a longer offset if they are not on.

Last edited: