Critical Process Died and stuff

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
I just recently did the update for Windows 10 and my problems have been getting worse.
I am an idiot and the critical process died has happened a few times I was just busy and said I will deal with it later. But after the update it happened twice in one day and worse.

If I open two applications or two tabs of chrome or just hitting the windows key the applicatins will chras then several of my icons disappear the windows menu stops working and its says taskmanger doesnt exist. It will just sits there forever until i power off other times it just goes to blue screens with critical process died or nothing.

I did a sfc /scannow, it said there was a problem it could't fix. I then ran

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

computer crashed after it was done

tried to run another sfc got stuck at 22%

booted into safe mode and tried sfc again it said there was no problem
but then the computer froze.

got out of safe mode did a final sfc said nothing was wrong went to open up chrome to search for more help and it crashed all applications and froze i can move my mouse around but nothing else.

Edit: forgot that when i get the critical process dies and my computer restarts it sends me to the bios when i exit and restart it loads back into the bios i have to turn of the power to be able to log in

Solution
i guess if its windows causing this, it would still crash there. so its not caused by update, it just made it worse.

try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - if it works fine in ubuntu then we can blame windows and not hardware

if its windows, you might be best doing a clean install and start again with a working version of windows. Backup everything on C (take time, there is no rush, don't have to do it now) and on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

when you ready to install,
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow...

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

It says that no valid crash dumps have been found.

- I did a test crash and it made a file

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible it crashes before enough windows is loaded to make a dump file. Knowing the name of the file that is crashing would help.

it helps to do a restart after SFC as if it crashes after, it may not save any changes

Its possible the reason for freezing isn't windows and might be hardware. I would run memtest86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time. Any errors are too many, stick needs to be removed/replaced. IT creates a bootable USB so can run without windows.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

i'll try that but I also thought it might be a ram issue so replaced the ram and it still crashed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it crash in safe mode?

go to settings/update & security/recovery - under advanced startup, click Restart now button
this loads advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't crash here, it leads me to think its a driver at fault

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

yep crashes in safe mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess if its windows causing this, it would still crash there. so its not caused by update, it just made it worse.

try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ - if it works fine in ubuntu then we can blame windows and not hardware

if its windows, you might be best doing a clean install and start again with a working version of windows. Backup everything on C (take time, there is no rush, don't have to do it now) and on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

when you ready to install,
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Yep ubuntu is running fine! Yay windows! Thanks for all the help again. This is gonna be a fun long day!

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
Problem is sortof back. I am no longer getting the BSOD but now my computer will just freeze.

First the internet shuts off then windows freaks out and i cant bring windows menu or the task manager or even ctl - alt- delete.

Then chrome and every other app will stop responding. I have had task manager open when it happens and cpu goes to 0%.

I have run sfc, done malware scan checked my memory again and it still happens in safe mode with networking. I just uninstalled and reinstalled my nividia drivers thinking that was a problem tried to update my cpu drivers Intel says I am one behind but just keeps installing the same one. When I am at device manager is says my cpu is up to date so w/e.

It also seems to happen faster when i have chrome open and then try an open the new twitch/curse app adn play some minecraft.

Its been less than a week since I did a clean install -_- any ideas

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? I can't go on ignoring hardware if it freezes

run memtest86 as it could be the slots on motherboard and not ram itself, so swapping the ram may not fix it. I am not saying it is the slots, just it could be.

If it still does it in safe mode, that means it can be hardware as safe mode runs generic drivers that should work with everything. I just blamed windows above as I always lean towards blaming it over hardware

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Memory: 4x Elpida 8gb
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
PSU: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB & 1 segate 320

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not overheating, its just sort of lagging out since lan stops responding and PC just sits there waiting for it to answer

do you use Ethernet or a LAN card? if Ethernet, do you have latest drivers from Asus?

If lan card, what one? Is it USB or PCI?

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Ethernet, and i dont know i went thru device manager and said look for updates for everything there and it said everything was up to date. The latest one is from end of last year so maybe. Cant really check right now doing the memtest86

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Memtest86 showed no problems and after i installed the new driver for the ethernet I realized maybe I should check some other drivers. Someone said my ssd might be failing so when i went into the samsung magician it said my ssd's firmware was out of date, after the update its not freezing anymore well at least in the first 30 min i'll have to see if that fixed the problem tomorrow.