CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED & reboot and select proper boot device BSOD

Bmooney140

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
My pc will often get a BSOD that says Kernal Data Inpage error and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. This screen only appears for a split second and then it goes to a black screen that says REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE. If I go int bios during this the hard drive does not show up in the boot menu. I am wondering whether I can fix this or if I need to buy another one.

WinOutreach6

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Bmooney140,

The first thing to do is make sure your hard drive cable is seated properly. Next, you'll want to scan the hard drive for errors. Once you’ve determined whether or not the hard drive is the culprit, you’ll have a better idea on how to proceed with troubleshooting.

Follow these steps to check your hard drive for errors:

1. Press the Windows Key + E to open File Explorer.
2. Right click on the drive that you want to check for errors and click on Properties.
3. Click on the Tools tab then click on the Check button under Error checking.
4. At this point you’ll see if any errors have been found on the drive. If no errors are found, you still have the option to scan the drive anyway. If a new scan shows there are still no errors, the hard drive is probably ok.
5. If you do find that the hard drive has errors, click on Repair drive.
6. Once the repair process is done, click on Show Details to see the logs of the results.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Jakku

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Hi,

Thanks, but my computer won't even detect my harddrive now. It isn't my harddrive because I've tried it in a different computer. If I leave my computer switched off for a large amount of time, it boots fine but about 5 minutes it crashes again.

skyspydude1

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I'd also like to know if anyone has a solution. I'm guessing there's an issue with the motherboard. Although, something I'd like to ask is this: Do you have the Intel Storage Matrix software on your machine by chance? Or any of those Intel storage management programs? I have a theory, but need a bit of help confirming it