Crossfire GPU's are NOT increasing performance in any game.

Zorah Frozen

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I got my second R9 270 to crossfire along with a new 750Watt power supply not that long ago. When I installed these cards I was hoping that I would be getting pretty good framerates in almost all of the games that I played. I have done everything, reassured many times that I installed the cards correctly and put on the crossfire bridge on correctly. I have searched all around for solutions and I am having no luck finding anything that will help me with fixing my problem. My specs are listed down below/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz 8-core
GPU: 2x Club 3D R9 270 2GB '14Series
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
PSU: EVGA 750watt ATX12v / EPS12V
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Solution
Mid ranged cards (I use this term loosely, I generally include anything that is not the top 2 ~ 3 cards of the latest gen, or the top card from the previous gen) are usually never worth Xfire/SLI'ing, because there generally will be a single GPU that does the job, and when you compare the two, single will always be better as every game will benefit, rather than only those with SLI/XFire support.

My rule of thumb is, if SLI/XFire is desired, it is only recommended if and only if there are no single GPU available on the market that can do what you want to do. (For all intents and purposes, dual GPU cards like 295x or Titan-Z are treated like XFire/SLI setup).

Knowing which games you play that will benefit from SLI/XFire is also half the...

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Unfortunately with Crossfire and SLI increases in performance depend on whether or not the games support two cards. A lot of games will only ever use the one graphics card.

It sucks for the people who spend all that cash thinking they'll get a 50% increase in performance for every game.

However if you're looking for better performance the R9 380X is at least coming out in a month or two.

This is the reason why I never recommend multi-GPU setups to anyone ever. I tried the same thing about a year ago with two AMD Radeon 7850 GPUs. I really wanted better performance in Shogun II: Total War. I set it up and the result was I got about half the performance in crossfire as I did with using just the one GPU.
I tried in 4 or 5 other games too and performance went up a little in some, but only 5FPS or less about and most of the time it did nothing.

I did research, and it turns out that most of the time this is the result. Crossfire and SLI only increase performance by a lot in games that are optimized for them. If they are not optimized for it, they often run at the same performance and can even cause reduced performance.

If you want better performance you are best to sell both R9 270 GPUs and buy a single faster GPU.

chenw

Honorable
Mid ranged cards (I use this term loosely, I generally include anything that is not the top 2 ~ 3 cards of the latest gen, or the top card from the previous gen) are usually never worth Xfire/SLI'ing, because there generally will be a single GPU that does the job, and when you compare the two, single will always be better as every game will benefit, rather than only those with SLI/XFire support.

My rule of thumb is, if SLI/XFire is desired, it is only recommended if and only if there are no single GPU available on the market that can do what you want to do. (For all intents and purposes, dual GPU cards like 295x or Titan-Z are treated like XFire/SLI setup).

Knowing which games you play that will benefit from SLI/XFire is also half the battle.

Solution