News CrowdStrike's market cap falls $12.5 billion in wake of global outage

Wimpers

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
What kind of idiot lets a cloud based security framework push drivers on Windows without giving the companies the possibility to test them on a few non-critical and easily restorable servers first?
All that stuff should be in userland, because we all saw what happens when this goes wrong, and basically you can't do <Mod Edit> anything if the thing doesn't boot properly.

And why is this needed on laptops and PC's? Never store anything locally, if you have a problem (or virus) we'll wipe + reinstall, patch and update your device in an hour or so instead of wasting time trying to look for a solution.

Reactions: Makaveli

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
July 20, 2024 - This is an example of why I have gone on rants in various comments forums about excessively depending on computer related Tech. I love computers and Tech in general. However, I have been baffled and irked by the naive attitude that many Tech pundits, big business, organizations, governmental agencies, and the general public. Have regarding computer systems, and Tech related products and services. My point is that in essence "not putting your eggs in one basket" has proven to be more than wise advice when it comes to the use of afore mentioned computers, Tech products, and services. I have to wonder why, as stated by other commenters in this forum. That backup systems are not in place for all vital computer based systems. It's like hiring one guy to be your security guard, and having no security when he calls out sick. Other than that, I have received some "thumbs down" on posts I have written on the general publics' whole sale acceptance of Tech in their lives. Of course a lot of it has to do with governments and businesses going all in on Tech. "Cashless society", ummm.. yeah.. until your bank can't process your request for funds because like in this CrowdStrike
outage. Your bank's computer system is down. "Store everything in the Cloud", yeah.. fine.. until the "Cloud" can't be accessed for some reason. My favorite example of things going wrong, which even the people that were effected have probably forgotten. Is when parts of New York City suffered an extreme weather event some years back and the power was out. People couldn't use ATM machines, people that lived or worked in buildings that required swipe cards to enter or exit. Couldn't do either because there was no power. So, my point is, that there should always be a back up. Actual cash on hand, files backed up on hard drives that are readily accessible, and having a backup plan for when the electricity and/or computer systems become inoperable. The extreme reliance on Tech without backups is unwise to say the least, and connecting all devices and services for "convenience" is certainly unwise. Stay well all. :blush:

Reactions: -Fran-
July 20, 2024 - This is an example of why I have gone on rants in various comments forums about excessively depending on computer related Tech. I love computers and Tech in general. However, I have been baffled and irked by the naive attitude that many Tech pundits, big business, organizations, governmental agencies, and the general public. Have regarding computer systems, and Tech related products and services. My point is that in essence "not putting your eggs in one basket" has proven to be more than wise advice when it comes to the use of afore mentioned computers, Tech products, and services. I have to wonder why, as stated by other commenters in this forum. That backup systems are not in place for all vital computer based systems. It's like hiring one guy to be your security guard, and having no security when he calls out sick. Other than that, I have received some "thumbs down" on posts I have written on the general publics' whole sale acceptance of Tech in their lives. Of course a lot of it has to do with governments and businesses going all in on Tech. "Cashless society", ummm.. yeah.. until your bank can't process your request for funds because like in this CrowdStrike
outage. Your bank's computer system is down. "Store everything in the Cloud", yeah.. fine.. until the "Cloud" can't be accessed for some reason. My favorite example of things going wrong, which even the people that were effected have probably forgotten. Is when parts of New York City suffered an extreme weather event some years back and the power was out. People couldn't use ATM machines, people that lived or worked in buildings that required swipe cards to enter or exit. Couldn't do either because there was no power. So, my point is, that there should always be a back up. Actual cash on hand, files backed up on hard drives that are readily accessible, and having a backup plan for when the electricity and/or computer systems become inoperable. The extreme reliance on Tech without backups is unwise to say the least, and connecting all devices and services for "convenience" is certainly unwise. Stay well all. :blush:
You wrote alot here but I think it always comes down to cost.

A company that knows the value of their data and how downtime will affect them will have a plan b and not have all of this relying on a single vendor. So if downtime will affect your stock where you are losing billions on day 2 you will most likely have redundancies in place.

FoxTread3

Prominent
Oct 17, 2023
You wrote alot here but I think it always comes down to cost.

A company that knows the value of their data and how downtime will affect them will have a plan b and not have all of this relying on a single vendor. So if downtime will affect your stock where you are losing billions on day 2 you will most likely have redundancies in place.
July 20, 2024 - Thank you for your kind and interesting reply. I have absolutely no reason to disagree with, or counter your observations. I would say, mistakenly possibly, that most business and governmental bodies make their decisions with cost being one of their primary concerns. The wisdom of this depends on those entities' objectives and perceived risks. Aside from that, I think a lot people in all walks of life, and in various hierarchies have little knowledge about the workings of the Technologies they are using and/or purchasing. As you said in your comments, I tend to "write a lot" and that is due to my loquaciousness, (no offense taken :wink:). My basic intention was to draw attention to how we as a society view and use Tech. Anything man made is subject to failure, and my point is that we should be prepared for eventual failures as much as possible. Both in our private lives, and in the vital areas that are basic to our way of life. You will note that I made a couple of suggestions. Stay well, and thank you. 😊

Reactions: Makaveli and -Fran-

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The drop in share value is expected. After this major mess up from them, people and companies will start to consider diversifying their risk. Clearly putting all their egg in 1 basket is a bad idea. For example, if the company infrastructure is very dependent on MS Azure and Crowd Strike, there is 0 business resiliency plan to mitigate situation like what happened last Friday.

Reactions: FoxTread3
Jul 21, 2024
CrowdStrike shares open 15% down after a 24-hour nightmare slowly comes to a close.

CrowdStrike's market cap falls $12.5 billion in wake of global outage : Read more
The drop in share value is expected. After this major mess up from them, people and companies will start to consider diversifying their risk. Clearly putting all their egg in 1 basket is a bad idea. For example, if the company infrastructure is very dependent on MS Azure and Crowd Strike, there is 0 business resiliency plan to mitigate situation like what happened last Friday.
It might be prudent to wait until the lawsuits settle before investing.

TRENDING THREADS