Crucial MX100 fails on MacBook Pro

zjrt02

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
I just bought a Crucial MX100 256GB for external use (through a Thermaltake SATA III to USB 3 converter) on a MacBook Pro mid 2012 (9,1 - OS X 10.8.5). The Mac cannot perform any operation on this drive without hanging. The drive will format and work perfectly on a Windows 7 machine but fails when moved to the MBP.

I called Crucial tech support and we went through several options including booting to the recovery partition with no joy. I tried some other options I found on the web with no success - but I was able to crash the kernel a couple of times!

Crucial tech asked if I had a different Mac I could try it on. I have an older MBP (5,5 - OS X 10.6.8) so I stuck the drive on it and it formatted perfectly and was usable (and FAST). I pulled the drive out and stuck it in the newer machine. The drive mounted but the Mac reported various errors trying to use it. The Crucial tech and I think there is a firmware glitch on the failing MBP (or maybe the drive, but more likely the MBP). There are no firmware upgrades for the drive and according to the Apple web site the failing MBP is current on Boot ROM and SMC.

Any ideas on how to make this Crucial drive work on this cranky MBP?

Okcin

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi,

You said "I have an older MBP...I stuck the drive on it and it formatted perfectly and was usable (and FAST)...pulled drive out and stuck in newer machine...The drive mounted but the Mac reported various errors trying to use it"

Maybe the newer Mac report various error because of the different hardware between the new and the old MBP?

Now that your MX100 "work", let it on the newer MBP and try to reinstall OSX.

zjrt02

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks, Okcin, for responding. I don't want to install the OS on the drive, just initialize it and use it as an external drive for Pro Tools audio files.

Okcin

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I see....

My thought was try to install your drive INTO your MBP to see if it work fine.
If yes, then it's your USB3 converter that could be faulty (but you said it work on windows 7) or your USB port on the MBP.